Thread: Can Not Write Dvd`s

Poster
    i have got a matshita dvd-ram sw-9581 witer and about a week ago it stopped working, when it was working i used nero 5.5 and then 6 and also copytodvd and for some reason when i try to burn a dvd i get this " burn process failed at x2 power calibration error" and with copt i get that as well as cd burner is dirty, i have reinstalled the drivers and the whole OS as told to do my the help lines and still it does not work.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    sound like ya burners gone dicky mate , take it back and get a replacement

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    Negative.... have you even tried looking for the error?

This is directly from nero.com

5. Why does Nero/Nero Express always stop to burn at about 2%-3% during the writing process? The Nero Error log shows a Power Calibration Error, or Power Calibration Error Full Error Message.

Power Calibration is controlled by the recorder. Before any write operation, all recorders must do a 15 step power test to determine the optimum power for writing to the CD; this is called "Optimum Power Calibration"(OPC). And during the write, it continues to do this test to get the best write throughout the whole CD; this is called "Running Optimum Power Calibration" (ROPC). This whole process is controlled by the recorder, though initiated by programs such as Nero. There is an area on the inner part of the CD for the test and test data info to be stored. You can use this area up to 999 times.
    So, when you receive the "Power Calibration Error" or "Power Calibration Area full" error message, then the cause will be either poor media, poor Power, or a defective Recorder.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:
    1) A Firmware Update might enable the OPC on this medium
    2) Try another brand of CDR or CDRW media.
    3) Some of these symptoms can also be caused by poor power or power fluctuations.
    So try different power connectors, and for recorders, do not share power with other devices. It needs its own power connector. If this occurs with an External recorder, the power source in the chassis could be the cause. Take the recorder out of the external chassis, and make into an internal, as a test.
    4) Try different configurations, such as taking the CDROM to the Primary IDE bus as Slave, and have only the recorder connected to the Secondary IDE bus as Master.
    5) Send the recorder in for Service.
    Have fun?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    i have used nero and copytodvd, i`ve been on the help lines to find out whats up, they both worked 2 weeks ago when i used it last, its internal and the whole computer is only 9 months old, plus the media i am using work before and now i have 3 types with me to try, oh and it will burn cd-r`s but not DVD`s.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by hondarvf400@4 April 2004 - 15:13
    i have used nero and copytodvd, i`ve been on the help lines to find out whats up, they both worked 2 weeks ago when i used it last, its internal and the whole computer is only 9 months old, plus the media i am using work before and now i have 3 types with me to try, oh and it will burn cd-r`s but not DVD`s.
    Try everything DWK posted...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    i tryed to update the firmware and now the drive wont open and the green light just flashes and i have not got a clue what to do.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Did you turn off DMA before trying this? You have to do that before updating the bios on some drives. If you didn't, try turning it off (you have to reboot before doing anything else) then try re-applying the firmware update. If it is still no good try restoring the original (which you made a copy of, didn't you).

About your original problem, have you recently got a new brand of DVD's? Or possibly got some that look almost the same as your previous ones? For instance, Datawrite have recently brought out a new version of their "Red" discs. But these are the V2 versions and won't work on quite a few drives, but the old "Red classic" worked fine.

Check compatibility at dvdrhelp
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    that drive has gone south, contact the manufacturer

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    lynx no i did not keep a copy of the orginal, and the disk are the same ones i have been using all the time.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by hondarvf400@4 April 2004 - 17:19
    lynx no i did not keep a copy of the orginal, and the disk are the same ones i have been using all the time.
    were there any other firmware versions available on the manufacturer's website? if so try using a different version. if not then try to flash with the same firmware again. try a few times, keep trying till it works