Thread: Need A Visitor Counter

I'm looking for a better free visitor counter for my website. Preferably, it should be one which counts unique visitors rather than just hits, and which has statistics on where the visitors were directed from.

I used to use bravenet.com, but in the last few days their site has gone really strange, with nothing but little red crosses, so I stopped using it. Now i'm using another temporary hitcounter from elsewhere, but I don't think it's as good.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Heres one for 5 bucks a month

Heres a real nice free one.

What Does StatCounter Have To Offer You?
    Completely Free, Fast, Responsive, Quick loading and Reliable Service
    Invisible Tracking - no ads on your website
    Accurate real-time website statistics with detailed visitor tracking and analysis
    Detailed breakdown of pageloads, unique, first-time and returning visitors
    Popular Pages - what webpages get viewed and what ones don't
    Zoom in on your visitors' locations and watch in real-time as they navigate through your website!
    Search Engine/Keyword Analysis - what keywords are people using to find your site?
    Drill Down - Incredibly Powerful Tool. What navigation paths, referring links and keywords are leading to conversions?
    Do you have multiple websites? Manage them all from one account
    Configure email stat reports to be delivered to you and your clients
    Grant individual user access to your staff or clients
    Enable public or private website stats
    Incredibly easy to use - no software to install or huge log files to parse
    Referring links - do you know how your visitors are finding your site?
    Country Stats - does your website have a lot of international visitors? What percentage of domestic visitors do you get?
    Browser/Resolution Info - is your website optimized for your visitors?
    And that's just to whet your appetite and it's all FREE!
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    give www.netstat.com a try - their stats are pretty comprehensive - or make your own, if u use a php site
    heres my netstat: http://www.nedstatbasic.net/s?tab=1&link=1&id=2443399
    <insert signature here>

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Originally posted by SingaBoiy@4 April 2004 - 22:17
    Heres one for 5 bucks a month

Heres a real nice free one.

What Does StatCounter Have To Offer You?
    Completely Free, Fast, Responsive, Quick loading and Reliable Service
    Invisible Tracking - no ads on your website
    Accurate real-time website statistics with detailed visitor tracking and analysis
    Detailed breakdown of pageloads, unique, first-time and returning visitors
    Popular Pages - what webpages get viewed and what ones don&#39;t
    Zoom in on your visitors&#39; locations and watch in real-time as they navigate through your website&#33;
    Search Engine/Keyword Analysis - what keywords are people using to find your site?
    Drill Down - Incredibly Powerful Tool. What navigation paths, referring links and keywords are leading to conversions?
    Do you have multiple websites? Manage them all from one account
    Configure email stat reports to be delivered to you and your clients
    Grant individual user access to your staff or clients
    Enable public or private website stats
    Incredibly easy to use - no software to install or huge log files to parse
    Referring links - do you know how your visitors are finding your site?
    Country Stats - does your website have a lot of international visitors? What percentage of domestic visitors do you get?
    Browser/Resolution Info - is your website optimized for your visitors?
    And that&#39;s just to whet your appetite and it&#39;s all FREE&#33;
    OK thanks for the recommendation. I have registered and installed the free statcounter one, but it doesn&#39;t seem to be working on my site. Maybe it&#39;s because my site uses frames (in this case, iframes), as I&#39;ve heard that could be a problem.

When I have more time I will probably make a splashpage for my site, and put the counter on there instead.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Poster
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by 4th gen@4 April 2004 - 22:01
    http://sitemeter.com/
    Seconded. Pretty good features for the free acount, and if you feel like paying it&#39;s excellent.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    It&#39;s OK, I&#39;ve found out what was causing my problem now. I discovered that my hosts file was blocking the statcounter website, so I had to remove those entries form the hosts file. Now I can see the counter on my website.

I don&#39;t really understand why the people who make the hosts file listings decided to block a lot of hitcounters. It was the hosts file which I got while installing K-Lite 2.6

But thanks everyone for your recommendations.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey+4 April 2004 - 22:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 4 April 2004 - 22:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-4th gen@4 April 2004 - 22:01
    http://sitemeter.com/
    Seconded. Pretty good features for the free acount, and if you feel like paying it&#39;s excellent. [/b][/quote]
    I got the link from your site
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    h1
    www.hotscripts.com

I would use a PHP script that utilizes 60-minute sessions for identical IPs, logs hits to a database, and then displays the images.