Last Project Update: July 11, 2004 | Last Post Update: July 11, 2004
Supertrick XG is designed to edit a standard Windows file called HOSTS to restrict access to websites or servers. Using this trick you can block websites that serve ads or ones that might compromise your privacy and security. This also speeds up the loading time of websites, because the ads don't have to be downloaded. It also has many more options that concern pop-ups, security, usability (some of which are specific to the needs of the OS). Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher is required for options noted as requiring Internet Explorer.
Download the Supertrick XG Installer
Version 1.5 <---Hosted on FileSharingPlace, thanks to NightStalker
Version 1.4 <---Hosted on KLiteTools by sharedholder.
Version 1.4 <---Hosted by haxor41789 with it's own domain name.
For the Supertrick XG project page and Supertrick XG Forums, check the links in my sig.
**Please note that this post has been abandoned.**
**If you want updates or information, visit the links in my sig**
The complete changelog
Changes in version 1.4:
- Setup now compiled with Inno Setup 4.2.7
- The installer components menu is now in a tree-like format. This will allow for easier reading and choosing of components. Some components will not inherit the check from it's parent checkbox because those options are not for every user.
- Updated the links in the uninstall information to the project's current home. Also included links to the new Supertrick XG Forums.
- Created and added the HOSTSupdater, a wizard that will download and install the latest HOSTS file entries without reinstalling Supertrick XG. Requires internet connection at time of use.
- Added an option to run CWShredder to remove CWS browser hijackers. It is recommended that you use the "check for update" feature. Before it is executed, another small CWS remover will be executed to prevent CWShredder from being closed by a trojan.
- The HOSTS file switch will now unlock the HOSTS file before disabling HOSTS file protection, so you don't need to use the UnlockHOSTS tool before the HOSTS File switch. The user will have to use the LockHOSTS tool to lock the HOSTS file when HOSTS file protection is reenabled.
- When configuring the DNS client service, "disable" is now checked by default.
- DNS Client service now stops when choosing to set it to "manual" or "disabled" without needing to reboot.
- The Windows Messenger service is now stopped when disabling it without needing to reboot. It also stops before it is uninstalled if the user chooses to uninstall it. This may help prevent the need for a reboot.
- Rid the need of a few more batch files to allow for a cleaner installation.
- Made lockHOSTS and unlockHOSTS work on Windows 9x/NT based machines instead of having separate files for each.
- The option to lock the HOSTS file is checked by default because the HOSTS file switch will unlock it to disable HOSTS file protection.
- The option to install Microsoft Internet Explorer Power Tweaks Web Accessories is no longer checked by default. That way, the only people who should install it are the people who know what it is and how to use it.
- Microsoft IE Power Tweaks Web Accessories is now installed silently.
- Removed more HOSTS file entries that conflicted with legitimate sites, thanks to OPaul and others. Also removed several invalid entries.
- Added more HOSTS file entries to block more undesireables, but most noteably, many "Shock Sites" are now being blocked, thanks to true_neo for the entries.
- Increased the amount of malicious ActiveX controls in Internet Explorer that can be blocked by Supertrick XG.
- Added more sites that can be placed in the restricted sites zone of Internet Explorer.
- The option to create a HOSTS file editor icom in the Quick Launch bar is now unchecked by default.
- The start menu icons have been reorganized and two internet shortcuts have been added, one for the Supertrick XG Project page, and the other leads to the Supertrick XG Forums.
- More components and options regarding system security have been added to the Supertrick XG Installer.
- Other minor tweaks, fixes, and changes in appearance.
I have tested it on Windows XP Pro SP1 and it works perfectly. Uninstallation is clean, and will place everything back the way it was, except services which don't cause any conflicts and can be changed manually by using the registry patches in "RegPatches" directory of the Supertrick XG installation directory (version 1.4 and above). Another method is explained on the project page
NOTE: Uninstallation may seem like it's frozen, but just let it do it's work. It takes a little time to remove only the installed HOSTS file entries. This only applies if you choose not to clear the HOSTS file upon uninstallation (version 1.3 and above).
If anyone has any issues or requests, it would be greatly appreciated and will only serve to make the installer better for everyone.
-- Xero Grid --