Thread: Virtual Memory Scratch Disk Etc

virtual memory ?
    HI
    I guess this is the right forum for this question. Hope so anyway.
    I want to set a page file for memory. I am running xp but that is soon to change.
    I am getting a new comp and keeping my oldish hdd to add to it.
    They are both up to date drives.
    Anyway I would like to set a page file on the secondary drive or more precise onto a partition on that drive that will only be for the page file. The rest of the drive will just be for back up.
    How do I do this ? And is that a good idea ? From reading it seems to be the best plan.
    I can set the page file in xp ok.. but it gives no option WHERE to set it just how much of each drive to put aside.

I will be running LInux and xp on the new system.. It seems to me that the only drives that would require a page file would be the drives running the progs ?
    Any tips or advicve would be most welcome before I format and put the op systems and progs on and partition etc.
    I know it is a lot of questions lol but anyone with any advice about configuring a pc for best perforance for using graphics and vid editing progs would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Trug

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    For best performance its best not to use a page file if u can.

I can set the page file in xp ok.. but it gives no option WHERE to set it just how much of each drive to put aside.
    on the same window it should b at the top for the drives.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I guess that makes sense. If I got enough memory just check the box for no page file.
    As for the operating systems still not sure what is the best way to set them up.
    Guess they would be on the primary drive.
    Have to check that out when the comp arrives
    Cheers