Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Comp Is Getting Slower And Slower

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Must be a way for us that format a lot to put the security patches on disk. I have my xp disk slipstreamed with sp1 . But would be nice to have all the newer ones. Just wondering

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by peat moss@5 April 2004 - 20:15
    Must be a way for us that format a lot to put the security patches on disk. I have my xp  disk slipstreamed with sp1 . But would be nice to have all the newer ones. Just wondering
    Go to Windows Update and write down the numbers of the patches that apply to you.
    Then go to Windows Update Catalogue and download the updates and save to a disc.
    Be careful if you do this as many of the updates need to be installed separately (Direct X and WMP, for example).

I usually do this and save the patches to my D drive and then install from there.
    When I reinstall XP I already have most of the updates at hand.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker+6 April 2004 - 16:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 6 April 2004 - 16:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-peat moss@5 April 2004 - 20:15
    Must be a way for us that format a lot to put the security patches on disk. I have my xp disk slipstreamed with sp1 . But would be nice to have all the newer ones. Just wondering
    Go to Windows Update and write down the numbers of the patches that apply to you.
    Then go to Windows Update Catalogue and download the updates and save to a disc.
    Be careful if you do this as many of the updates need to be installed separately (Direct X and WMP, for example).

I usually do this and save the patches to my D drive and then install from there.
    When I reinstall XP I already have most of the updates at hand. [/b][/quote]
    this is exactly what i wanted to hear...

so there is a way i can save these updates to disk..

ill probably do it now.. cheerz big ears

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    i didnt waste my time reading thru the posts.

dray, uve got 512 megs of ram rite? get a tweaking utility (its far easier thaen hacking the registry urself) and search for an option that les u force the entire windows core onto the ram. it cut down my boot times by 2/3

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Poster
    Originally posted by atiVidia@6 April 2004 - 17:21
    i didnt waste my time reading thru the posts.

dray, uve got 512 megs of ram rite? get a tweaking utility (its far easier thaen hacking the registry urself) and search for an option that les u force the entire windows core onto the ram. it cut down my boot times by 2/3
    ne idea at what kinda name this utility would be called?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+6 April 2004 - 00:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 6 April 2004 - 00:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Chewie UK@5 April 2004 - 18:46
    <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx
    @5 April 2004 - 12:55
    Once you install lots and lots of programs and load up the resources after a while computers will slow down a bit. A good reformat and new install of the O/S is great to fix this.

OMG, you recommend backing up files, formatting, then reinstalling the OS, all apps & games and tweaking it all over again purely because it&#39;s running slow?
    What&#39;s wrong with just uninstalling the shit that&#39;s making it slow?
    whats with you and getting mad at people for wanting to reinstall their operating system&#092;telling others to reinstall their operating system? its just easier to do then trying to figure out what teh cause of every single problem is.

although that may not be the best suggestion for this situation, i have noticed you posting the same type of replys in a lot of other threads. [/b][/quote]
    Blimey, do I sound pissed off at you? I&#39;m not pissed off, I&#39;m just stunned.

The reason I rarely recommend reinstalling an OS is because it&#39;s so fucking unnecessary.
    It&#39;s like a guy asking his mate at the pub why his car has a misfire and being told to get another engine. Sure, it&#39;ll cure the problem, but just changing the spark plugs could&#39;ve done that.
    The Hardwareworld and Softwareworld forums are about helping people with problems, so why recommend reinstalling because it&#39;s easier than figuring out each problem? C&#39;mon, we all know you&#39;re not a klutz, Rossco.
    Re-installing WinXP may be easy but it ain&#39;t exactly quick; the SP1a download is about 125MB, not 30MB, and then you can add to that the SP2 updates, non-critical updates & drivers. You&#39;ve got to install all games and applications, configure your firewall, email & other apps, disable services, not to mention change your desktop & folder settings to the way you like them.
    It&#39;s using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

If it seems like I post my &#39;Reinstall OS? You&#39;re joking&#39; comment too much it&#39;s because that&#39;s so often being recommended where it&#39;s not necessary.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Chewie UK@6 April 2004 - 00:48

Re-installing WinXP may be easy but it ain&#39;t exactly quick; the SP1a download is about 125MB, not 30MB, and then you can add to that the SP2 updates, non-critical updates & drivers. You&#39;ve got to install all games and applications, configure your firewall, email & other apps, disable services, not to mention change your desktop & folder settings to the way you like them.

True.

My solution is to make a Ghost image of the freshly installed, updated, tweaked, loaded and configured OS.
    Should something terrible happen ( hasn&#39;t yet, thank goodness) it is a 5 minute procedure to transfer the image back into C drive.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Poster
    so now i shouldnt reinstall the OS?

sounds like chewy knows what hes talking about...

i knew the updates would be bigger than 100Mb

My solution is to make a Ghost image of the freshly installed, updated, tweaked, loaded and configured OS.
    Should something terrible happen ( hasn&#39;t yet, thank goodness) it is a 5 minute procedure to transfer the image back into C drive.
    u saying i can install everything onto my newly installed HDD (with the newly installed OS) by using a ghost image thing?

would this be faster??

man im confused what should i do.... i dont really want to download all the updates, however i think installing the games on the new HDD sounds like a good idea....

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+6 April 2004 - 03:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 6 April 2004 - 03:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@6 April 2004 - 00:49
    Once you install lots and lots of programs and load up the resources after a while computers will slow down a bit. A good reformat and new install of the O/S is great to fix this.

OMG, you recommend backing up files, formatting, then reinstalling the OS, all apps & games and tweaking it all over again purely because it&#39;s running slow?

whats with you and getting mad at people for wanting to reinstall their operating system&#092;telling others to reinstall their operating system? its just easier to do then trying to figure out what teh cause of every single problem is.

although that may not be the best suggestion for this situation, i have noticed you posting the same type of replys in a lot of other threads.
    Blimey, do I sound pissed off at you? I&#39;m not pissed off, I&#39;m just stunned.

The reason I rarely recommend reinstalling an OS is because it&#39;s so fucking unnecessary.
    It&#39;s like a guy asking his mate at the pub why his car has a misfire and being told to get another engine. Sure, it&#39;ll cure the problem, but just changing the spark plugs could&#39;ve done that.
    The Hardwareworld and Softwareworld forums are about helping people with problems, so why recommend reinstalling because it&#39;s easier than figuring out each problem? C&#39;mon, we all know you&#39;re not a klutz, Rossco.

If it seems like I post my &#39;Reinstall OS? You&#39;re joking&#39; comment too much it&#39;s because that&#39;s so often being recommended where it&#39;s not necessary. [/b][/quote]
    Alright i see your point...

oh and at teh comment about sp1a being 125mb, the full download (called net install i think) is 125mb, if you just use express setup its around 30mb so i recomended that to dray because he didnt want to download much.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+6 April 2004 - 08:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 6 April 2004 - 08:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@6 April 2004 - 00:49
    Once you install lots and lots of programs and load up the resources after a while computers will slow down a bit.&nbsp; A good reformat and new install of the O/S is great to fix this.

although that may not be the best suggestion for this situation, i have noticed you posting the same type of replys in a lot of other threads.

If it seems like I post my &#39;Reinstall OS? You&#39;re joking&#39; comment too much it&#39;s because that&#39;s so often being recommended where it&#39;s not necessary. [/b][/quote]
    Your saying what ive been thinking, I recently had to format (cataclysmic system faliure) and it was a pain in the ass, why anyone would do it volunteraly when a simple tweak or utility could do the same thing is beyond me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast