Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Noise Reduction On The Cheap

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman+12 April 2004 - 17:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FlyingDutchman @ 12 April 2004 - 17:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Skillian@12 April 2004 - 21:27

I did block the air vents around the grill, along with any other holes behind the front bezel - only with sellotape but it seemed to be pretty airtight.
    Ok, you closed them. Glad you did.

Originally posted by Skillian@12 April 2004 - 21:27

I still find it difficult to imagine efficient aircooling with only one intake fan and a very poorly placed one at that. Indeed my tests with it seem to suggest it is much less inefficient than my current set up.
    My current rig doesn&#39;t have an intake fan at all. Air flows in naturally to fill up the space left by the expelled air. So, you can get by without.

<!--QuoteBegin-Skillian
    @12 April 2004 - 21:27

This pic shows the ONLY vent at the front for air to get through to that front intake fan - with the USB wires in there it is close to useless.

It would be improved a little When you place the case a little higher. Some books perhaps?

When you find your PC gasping for air don&#39;t forget you can open up the slot-covers&#33;
    [/b][/quote]
    My case is quite similar to this, I just set it on my desk with the front hanging over the edge about 3 inches to open up that airflow
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #42
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Skillian@12 April 2004 - 16:27
    I did block the air vents around the grill, along with any other holes behind the front bezel - only with sellotape but it seemed to be pretty airtight.

I still find it difficult to imagine efficient aircooling with only one intake fan and a very poorly placed one at that. Indeed my tests with it seem to suggest it is much less inefficient than my current set up.

This pic shows the ONLY vent at the front for air to get through to that front intake fan - with the USB wires in there it is close to useless.

my case had that problem too. i removed everything from my computer including mobo, cd drives, hard drives everything. even psu. then i removed the front cover from teh computer, and i first cut out teh fan grills as they were really small and let almost no air through. i then hot glued teh usb wires out of the way of the air flow, and i also had to drill holes into teh metal part of the case for the usb wires to go through; and i also drilled holes in the motherboard tray for the front panel connectors (power switch, leds etc) so that they arent in the way of airflow...removing the front panel is also necessary for installing a front intake fan i beleive, unless ur case is different...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345