Thread: Need Help With The Internet

i got a pc with adsl broadband on it the adsl modem it is connected to my pc via a usb cable and connected to the phone line. I am getting a new pc so i will now have 2. what i want to know is that how do i connect them.

1. connecting the router/adsl modem - usb/network cable>through nework card.
    2. do i need a adsl modem on each pc.
    3. do i need a adsl modem (link elow foe example of what i mean and what i am looking at buying)

will tihs product do the trick. http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=39120

i wnat to be ale to surf the net at the sam time as the other pc. i also want to surf the net with one pc off (turned off) (no power)

so how will this be posable?

what do i need to buy.

will the above product be fine? or do i need a load of network cable 2 network cards and a adsl router and some microfilters.

email me or chat to me on msn messenger. [email protected]

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    You will need a router and your ISP will have to supply you with an addtional IP. Contact your ISP for details.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    hey wizz,
    First of all, you don't need another IP address. This is absolutely not necessary. (besides, your ISP will charge monthly you for it).
    The cheapest way to do it:
    Make sure both computers have network cards(about $10-15ea).
    Buy a "crossover" cable. This type of cable looks like a regular ethernet cable, but it isn&#39;t. It is specifically called a "crossover cable"(<&#036;10).
    You than can connect your 2nd computer to the first.
    The first computer will be your gateway to the internet in the same way a router does.
    Use the windows network wizard to configure and you are done.
    The only drawback is the first computer must be powered-on for the 2nd computer to access the internet.
    Otherwise you will need to buy a router as well as multiple ethernet cables.
    FYI: I have never seen a router that connects to a modem via USB.

Good luck

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    He said he want&#39;s them to be independent (surf while the other is off), so getting an additional IP *IS* necessary.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    no u do not need an extra IP from ur isp the ip that they suply will be used for the router not the pcs

i couldnt find much on that router the sight had no details but what u need is a adsl router with at least 2 ports (prob 4 would be better) and NAT (network address translation) and pppoe if thats what ur isp uses, one with a bulit in firewall would be nice too here is a good one here sry its in USD not GBP

also this one uses 120 Vac ull have too get one that uses that funky 220Vac system u got over there or get an adaptor (this was a joke brits dont flame me cus i dissed ur electric sys) it been a long time since i was over there so for all i know u may have 120 now. do ur telephones have a dialer yet? they didnt when i was there grandma just picked it up and asked for the number

then install a ethernet card in each comp and run a cat 5 cable from each comp to the router

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    all you need is

1) adsl/router here
    2) 2 x nic cards here
    3) too lengths of straight cat 5 utp cable here

that should get you going. and try a google search for how to set them up

start here

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    check ur modem mine has a usb and an RJ45 and can support 2 pcs at once and it works. well it would work if my lousy ISP didn&#39;t limit me 2 only 1 mac adress&#33;&#33;&#33;

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I don&#39;t know about other places, but Time Warner in New York City assignes the IP&#39;s to the computers, not the router.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Jonne's Avatar Poster
    i think it&#39;s the same everywhere:
    only one ip is necessary if you connect through a router.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Maybe it depends on the router? I don&#39;t know, but when my friend tried to connect to PC&#39;s to his cable modem through a router, only 1 worked at a time. He called Time Warner and they gave him an additional IP. Then it worked perfectly. It was only &#036;2 extra, which ain&#39;t bad at all.