Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Distro Sucks!

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Ok here is the deal. You may have been noticing that I have been mentioning Lindows a lot right? The truth is, I wonder why people say something sucks when they have the slightest idea what they are talking about. I could be wrong but I get the interpretation that most people say it sucks simply because they are trying to get in where they do not fit in.

Anywhere else it is very common place to say that sucks and have no relative factual points to provide as to why it indeed sucks. Yes indeed anywhere else I would expect such a blanket statement. However, in Linux section you make yourself look like a complete idiot.

The rules are as follows:
    • Do not come in this thread and say Linux sucks.
    • Only provide factual info or real-life experiences as to why a particular distro/distros suck.
    • Intelligent trolling only. No direct insults unless they are directed to another person's distro and even then you must provide a valid reason why.
    • Do not say a distro sucks simply because based on your level of expertise you can not get it to install, function, etc. That is more less a personal problem.
    • You may not say a distro sucks because it can not do what your distro does.
      EG: "My distro can fly and yours can't." is not a relative point.

There are other very good threads on this board that provide info and pros and cons for several distros. However, I consider them to be candy-coated. If you have a desire to try a distro and you want to know the real pros and cons based on people that have used it or people that can provide factual input as to why it sucks then you should come here first and see for yourself.

One more note and Warning: If you have feelings that are easily hurt, then this thread is not for you. To prevent, I suggest you change your distro or find flaws regarding a another distro as to why it sucks as well.

To conclude this and also make pretty interesting non-trolling thread I will start off by saying Slackware Sucks for the following reasons:
    • It has no package management system. Every other Linux
      distribution does.
    • There is no easy upgrade path between versions.
    • It isn't using System V-style boot scripts. If you are
      wondering why you should care, first of all, it is easier to maintain.
      Second, it allows you to easily do runlevels properly. Third, the
      rest of the unix world is moving that way, so why fight the standard.
      Besides, when Linux does things the same way as the rest of the unix
      world, that makes it more valuable as a learning tool.
    • It doesn't follow the Linux Filesystem Standard like it is suppose to.
    • Slackware is early 1994 Linux technology. It is an outdated toy. It
      was fun then, but it is time to move on.

shn

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    This thread sucks

(Come on, try telling me you never expected some idiot to come in and say that)?
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    When I said Lindows sucks I was just joking, i've never used it, and it could be a good distro.

That's about all I have to say here, since I really don't have enough linux experience to say one distro is better than another.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    a whole post wasted because someone jokingly said linows sucks

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by LSA@5 April 2004 - 18:22
    When I said Lindows sucks I was just joking, i've never used it, and it could be a good distro.

That's about all I have to say here, since I really don't have enough linux experience to say one distro is better than another.
    You are missing the point.

Lindows does suck. The question is, can you provide valid and factual reasons why without jumping on the bandwagon just because other people say it sucks.

The same thing is true with M$ bashers but that is another thread.

And I had this idea for this thread for some time now. I think it has great potential if you look at it from an intelligent point of view..................minus the topic title. Did that for fun.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn@5 April 2004 - 23:26
    The same thing is true with M$ bashers but that is another thread.
    I sense a little hypocrisy here...you yourself are one for m$ bashing without providing facts/reasons
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by 4th gen+5 April 2004 - 18:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4th gen @ 5 April 2004 - 18:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@5 April 2004 - 23:26
    The same thing is true with M&#036; bashers but that is another thread.
    I sense a little hypocrisy here...you yourself are one for m&#036; bashing without providing facts/reasons [/b][/quote]
    Well 4th gen I respect your opinion but with all do respect this is for Linux Distros I&#39;m sure you have tried a few distros yourself and you can give your opinions as to why you do not like them?

Please do not clutter this thread with M&#036; directed thoughts. If you are not intelligent enough to follow the point of the initial thread then so be it. Post all you like but I will ignore you.

And here is something for you to ponder while you take all that in.
    http://www.kmfms.com/whatsbad.html

Btw, Gentoo is next. This thread rocks&#33;

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn
    The question is, can you provide valid and factual reasons why without jumping on the bandwagon just because other people say it sucks.
    No, I can&#39;t because i&#39;ve never used it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by LSA+5 April 2004 - 18:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LSA &#064; 5 April 2004 - 18:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-shn
    The question is, can you provide valid and factual reasons why without jumping on the bandwagon just because other people say it sucks.
    No, I can&#39;t because i&#39;ve never used it.[/b][/quote]
    What about RedHat. I remember you saying you had problems with it.

That must have sucked right?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn@5 April 2004 - 23:42
    I&#39;m sure you have tried a few distros yourself and you can give your opinions as to why you do not like them?
    There&#39;s a "funny" story behind that actually...

I was given a Linux distro a while ago (Mandrake I believe) by a friend, but I didn&#39;t want to go through the partitoning to install it, so I left the CDs sitting on my desk. Then I downloaded one of the live CDs a while ago (Slax). I went to burn it in NERO, but I couldn&#39;t burn it right ( :"> ), so I never installed it. I&#39;ve still yet to use Linux, but I&#39;ve seen a couple of distros, one of my lecturers was using RedHat (he was actually using RedHat to emulate Windows XP ), and Liam has been using Knoppix lately. I can&#39;t give any opinion though, I&#39;ve never tried any Linux distro myself.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast