Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Advice...

Poster
    I'm cooking myself some tea (cos it's nearly 3:00 am and my mum's asleep ), so I'm having a steak pie and chips. My question is this: do I need to turn the chips over or can I leave them cooking on one side?

Also, is 20 minutes at 200 degrees celsius (392 degrees farenheight) enough to cook the food thoroughly?
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Poster
    I'm guessing you are already eating now... if not you have fallen asleep and the house is on fire....

erm... 20 mins at 200 deg is a tad high for a pie....

but close for chips.... and if ya don't turn them they just don't cook right... one side nice and golden and the other not.... or one side burnt.....

but now that you have cooked it and eaten it.. let us know how it turned out...
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Courier'>The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement.....</span>
    <span style='color:red'><u>Don't Go Here.........</u></span></span>

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    I&#39;ve not eaten yet, it doesn&#39;t look cooked

See the 20 minutes time, is that from when you turn on the oven or from when it actually gets to 200 degrees?

I think it&#39;s from when it gets to 200 degrees...

Anyway, the chips still look yellow, not cooked, so I&#39;m giving them another 10 minutes
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I usually do steak pies at 400 F for 10 minutes or so.

The 20 minutes would be after the oven&#39;s been pre-heated, so from when it actually gets to 392 F.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Poster
    20 mins from when the oven reaches the right temp 4th....

ovens here have a little light on them... and once the oven reaches the temp you have set it to the light goes off..... thats when ya start the timing.....

turn the chips over and give it another 10 mins or so.....

if all else fails... make a sandwich...
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Courier'>The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement.....</span>
    <span style='color:red'><u>Don't Go Here.........</u></span></span>

6. Lounge   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    What is a steak pie?

I googled it

We call thoose pot pies in the U.S.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    Just finished eating there...
    I was surprised, the chips looked pretty uncooked but they were hot all the way through and not hard at all. The pastry on the pie was a little burnt but apart from that it was a good meal

edit: steak pie:

And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Poster
    Update: Turned oven off now :-"

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    muchspl2
    yea a steak pie wtf

10. Lounge   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by 4th gen@6 April 2004 - 21:59
    Update: Turned oven off now :-"
    A real rookie, eh?

You&#39;re gonna need some work before you&#39;re even qualified for bachelorhood, fella.

You won&#39;t impress the chicks with your "oven" prowess; you&#39;ll have to learn to cook on the top of the stove, too (not just chips, either).

Of course, a full stomach should alleviate any angst you may feel at my post.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast