Thread: Reformatting?

My cousin got a virus on his computer. The only thing i can do is reinstall xp. But how do i reformat, and which drive do i reformat, he has two drives, an hp recovery drive thats 4 gigs and another 4o gig drive. any suggestioins will help, thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Xp should have all your drivers if not they will be on your recovery partion probably E:/ or F:/ And all the programs that came with your computer.

http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/rein...eformat-winxp/

http://www.pctechbytes.com/hprecovery.htm

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    You'll need to get an xp disk. I don't think you can format a drive in use.

DO NOT touch that recovery partition or hp will no longer support it. If you want the same o.s. you should be able to boot into that recovery partition and it will do an automated system recovery but you will lose everything that was not on that computer when you bought it.

You can have the option to do a system recovery be displayed but you'll need to go into the bios and set it up to display the recovery option and xp. Hp computers are like that. I'm on one right now with the same 4gig (recovery) and 40 gig setup. If possible you can get a walk through if you call hp tech support. That is if it's still under warranty.

There are other ways I suppose and someone will more than likely present them.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Ramone its not for me to question but what virus do you have? Can't you download a fix from a friends computer or boot from your a/v disk and repair? Reformatting is easy but I find with anything HP it's a pain in the ass with drivers. Or just format the whole thing and get rid of that 4gb thats huge. Whats on it War and Peace?

Edit: Like I said XP should have you drivers , I said should

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    The thing is i cant do anything with the computer. I cant access anything, i tried to run recovery but everything was erased, everytime time i try to run something it says "cannot find rundll32". or something like that. but how do iboot into that recovery drive?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Ramones53rd3rd@6 April 2004 - 23:58
    The thing is i cant do anything with the computer.  I cant access anything, i tried to run recovery but everything was erased, everytime time i try to run something it says "cannot find rundll32".  or something like that. but how do iboot into that recovery drive?
    Try this

But read carefully

sorry peatmoss. Hey, I did that to you before

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    have you tried running the stinger tool and see it it removes the virus, you can find it at Network Associates Web Page