Thread: Irc Faq And First-time Setup Guide

BANNED
    Hi guys, I will be posting a guide on what irc is and how to set it up if you're an irc noob.

Irc faq and first-time setup guide

Faq

First off, I will try to answer the most common questions about irc.

Q:What is irc?

A: Irc stands for internet relay chat. It was invented in 1988 in finland and is now used all over the world.

QHow does it work?

A: the answer is simple. When you logon via irc using a client like (m)irc, you are asked what server you would like to go to (or you can add a server yourself) for example undernet. A server hosts the different channels (or chat rooms) of irc. There will be different chatrooms in each server that you can join.

Q:Why should I get irc and not some other program like msn?

A: well in irc, you have more access to more people and disscussions, and you can have a bigger convo than msn has.

Q:What is a channel op, or a person with an @ or % infront of their name?

A: A channel operator, or cop in irc terms is person who has started the channel. People who have the channel registered or who created the channel, will have an @ infront of their name, for example @bulio means I am the cop of the channel that you have joined. I can ban and kick people. Persons with a % infront of their name are channel op helpers. They are like mods of the channel.

first time setup of irc

First thing that you need to do is download and irc client. My personal favorite is (m)irc but there are many different types availible.

Once you have downloaded the client, pm rip the jacker for the serial number for your mirc client, so that you can bypass the 30 day trial thing.

Next, when you load mirc, you should see the following:
    Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/7521/mircfigs1.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Fig 1: enter a name. It does not have to be your real name

Fig2: put your e-mail, (again doesnt have to be your real e-mail)

fig 3:put in the nickname that you want people to see (this nickname will be used in irc chats)

fig 4: Put in and alternative nick (incase someone on a channel that your on has the same nick as you, your nick will be changed to this one)

ONce you have done this, go to the server tab and choose what server you would like to be on. then choose (see screen)
    Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/2590/server1.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

then click ok.

Now click on the yellow connect button in the top left corner of (m)irc and wait. The following screen should come up:

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/5417/channels1.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Then you click join, and voila! your on a channel!!

Irc commands

In irc, there are many different commands that do different things. For example typing /me hi! would look like "bulio says hi!" in other people's irc clients. You can also find some commands at the top of the mirc commands list like in the folling screens:

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/9904/commands1.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

also, be sure to put a / before any of your commands if you are doing them manually because that is the signal that it is a command.

I have also included a couple of links to use.
    Noob irc help (by rip the jacker)-how to download files with (m)irc
    How to get missing/uncomplete filesBy james bond rulez
    irc workshop-great irc faq and guides here

Good luck with irc!

bulio

(note:this guide was written 100% by bulio)

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    Originally posted by bulio@8 April 2004 - 01:09
    Once you have downloaded the client, pm rip the jacker for the serial number for your mirc client, so that you can bypass the 30 day trial thing.

or you can PM me for the serial for mIRC version 6.14

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    your still trying to become a mod or or u just that stupid ?

probably both there are pinned guides for nearly every p2p2 app here on the board so stop righting your crappy guides as noone wants them BLO_INC
    Open your mind

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    BANNED
    Originally posted by nanotek@8 April 2004 - 04:21
    your still trying to become a mod or or u just that stupid ?

probably both there are pinned guides for nearly every p2p2 app here on the board so stop righting your crappy guides as noone wants them BLO_INC

I like writing guides, i've gave up on being a mod and I have a pinned guide in linuxworld. Stop spamming when you're too stupid to know whats going on B)

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Benno's Avatar Poster

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    BANNED
    isnt that how to download with mirc?

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Yeah but its also how to setup mIRC

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by bulio+8 April 2004 - 12:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bulio @ 8 April 2004 - 12:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nanotek@8 April 2004 - 04:21
    your still trying to become a mod or or u just that stupid ?&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;

probably both&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; there are pinned guides for nearly every p2p2 app here on the board so stop righting your crappy guides&nbsp; as noone wants them&nbsp; BLO_INC&nbsp;

I like writing guides, i&#39;ve gave up on being a mod and I have a pinned guide in linuxworld. Stop spamming when you&#39;re too stupid to know whats going on B) [/b][/quote]
    hmm.........spamming ? well who wrote more than 180 POSTS IN 1 DAY a couple of days ago then ? and didnt jetje tell ya to try to calm down and post not that much ?

so whos the spammer then m8 ?
    Open your mind

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    BANNED
    180 posts in four days