Thread: Did Anybody Else?

Poster
    Does anybody remember the post on here a while back about an offer for a free computer.All you had to do was keep it online for so many hours a day,and install some new advertising on it every month etc ?
    I applied just for the hell of it and I got an email a few months ago saying they were going to ship my computer out on (can't remember the date) but I got an email this week from them and now they aren't sending it. Here is a copy of the email ,I found it pretty funny .

Monday, 05 April 2004

Dear Mr *****,

Your Free PC pre-registration, customer number: ****

We regret to inform you that we are unable to fulfill your application at this time.

As you may know, Metronomy’s launch generated considerable media interest, and we received an excellent response from households wishing to take part in the scheme. However, we have also received information to suggest that a minority of applicants do not intend to operate within our standard terms and conditions, resulting in the potential theft of the computer.

Whilst we have invested considerable resources into developing highly secure business processes and technology, the high cost of each PC means that we must control our exposure at this stage.

As such, we have reluctantly decided to release only a limited number of PC’s in the first instance, in order to fully test our security procedures and technical infrastructure before a wider roll-out in the Autumn. Unfortunately, we will be unable to progress your application until then

Should you wish us to remove your details from the waiting list, please click here: [email protected] and return the message, remembering to include your customer number. Otherwise, you will be contacted later in the year with further information.

We recognise that our concerns apply to only a minority of applications, and regret any inconvenience that this may cause to bona-fide customers, but feel this is the best course of action to protect the long-term interests of the business and ensure that the offer can be available to all who want it in future.

Yours sincerely,

Jacco Van Seventer

Customer Operations Director

Did anybody else apply? I only applied because I figured they would not accept me because I live in Canada and the company is based in europe.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    muchspl2
    and you're surprised

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Lick My Lovepump
    Seriously, the company is UK only.

Did you really expect it to work??

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    muchspl2
    the web site still sayes they're giving them away
    once a scam always a scam, and good luck with all the spam you get

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    it is only a way of getting real names and addresses and email addresses to spam people and send you junk mail too. Sounds like a BIG SCAM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    I just did it for fun,just for the hell of it.I don't get hardly any spam what so ever so i don't think they are just doing that type of scam.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive