Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ati Boosts Radeon X800 Specifications

by Anton Shilov
    04/08/2004 | 10:01 AM

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display...0408100025.html

Only weeks before the release, ATI Technologies decided to boost performance of its next-generation code-named R420 processor by increasing the number of pixel pipelines inside the chip. Industry source told X-bit labs that the story is not about redesign, but about enabling “big guns” that were “hidden” inside the chip from the very beginning.

ATI Technologies’ chip known as R420 will be called RADEON X800 PRO and is likely to be launched on the 26th of April, 2004. Higher-speed flavour of the R420 – the RADEON X800 XT – is expected to debut on the 31st of May, 2004, if the assumptions posted earlier this week are correct. PCI Express x16 solution powered by the R423 architecture will see the light of the day on the 14th of June. ATI on Tuesday began marketing campaign on its web-site to support the launch of the new graphics architecture.

Sources familiar with the company’s roadmap revealed Thursday, the 8th of April, that the 420/R423 graphics processors will have 16 rendering pipelines, significantly more compared to the previously released information about 8 or 12 pipes. Apparently, the company’s future chips have the same capability of enabling and disabling pixel pipelines like the predecessors – the R300 and R350/R360 chips – which were capable of working either with 4 or 8 rendering pipelines. Initially the company believed that 8 pixel conveyers would be enough to stay competitive against the rivaling NVIDIA NV40 chip, however, at this point ATI wants to expose all capabilities of the RADEON X800-series chips to fight with the competitor.

According to previously released information, the ATI code-named R420/R423 graphics processors will contain about 160 million of transistors and will be produced using low-k 0.13 micron technology at TSMC. The chips are projected to utilize the current R300 architecture, but with general improvements in the way they compute and perform.

Sources did not elaborate on possible yield impact as a result of boosting the specification of the R420. They also declined to comment on clock-speeds of the RADEON X800-series graphics cards. It was stressed that availability and launch dates unveiled earlier this week are not projected to be pushed forward as a result of specification change. Typically ATI Technologies is very concentrated on high gross-margins and volume availability of graphics cards based on its high-end processors.

Officials from ATI Technologies did not comment on the story.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    nvidia will strike back

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I think ATI is going to kill nVidia. and im starting to hate nvidia because of that bridge thing, i think its a really stupid idea. just like how they made that special code that the chip has to translate into the nvidia code or something like that, making it slower...

i think nvidia could have some really nice graphics cards but theyre ruining them with all these extra thing which are slowing them down.

but nvidia does have some nice drivers, imo.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by atiVidia@8 April 2004 - 20:39
    nvidia will strike back
    Stop posting random unsupported crap, please. No one knows, so please dont assume.

This is a very interesting development....perhaps in response to the rumours of NV40's 16 pipes? ATi may have decided to release a further version of R420 early to combat nVIDIA's new card.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@8 April 2004 - 14:41
    I think ATI is going to kill ATI

Suicidal dreams!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by DWk+8 April 2004 - 16:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DWk @ 8 April 2004 - 16:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@8 April 2004 - 14:41
    I think ATI is going to kill ATI

Suicidal dreams&#33; [/b][/quote]
    i fixed it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    Too late haha

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@8 April 2004 - 16:41
    I think ATI is going to kill nVidia. and im starting to hate nvidia because of that bridge thing, i think its a really stupid idea. just like how they made that special code that the chip has to translate into the nvidia code or something like that, making it slower...

i think nvidia could have some really nice graphics cards but theyre ruining them with all these extra thing which are slowing them down.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+8 April 2004 - 17:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 8 April 2004 - 17:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@8 April 2004 - 16:41

[/b][/quote]

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    *Grunt*
    Most of these developments were inevitable. yet most fundementals remain the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast