Thread: Winpoet / Ethernet Card/ Window Xp

I downloaded something off shareaza and then it was supposedly a program that erased my window 2000 bootup file and other system files... so i formatted my computer to windows xp... now im trying to set up the internet (Verizon DSL) and when i try installing Winpoet it saids ERROR please have one avaliable ethernet card... i lost the driver disk, so i switched the ethernet card with one that i already had a driver of... I'm pretty sure I installed the ethernet card a few times... and I still get the same error when im trying to install Winpoet... right now I'm at a public place trying to seek some help... any clues?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    right click my computer, click manage, then click device manager on the left.

now find any devices with a ! or ?...the most important one right now will be your ethernet card. first try right clicking it and going to update driver and let it search automatically. if you are using the one u have a driver for then point to the driver on your hard drive.

The best solution if the above solution doesnt find a driver is to write down your network cards model number and manufacturer then go to their website and download the latest driver update, put on a floppy and take it home to install.

and btw, with xp you dont need to use the verizon software. run the new connection wizard which can be found in the network connections folder in your control panel. you select that you want to configure internet connection, then choose configure connection manually, then choose broadband that requires a username and password, then go through the rest of the wizard entering in all the information you need. i cant be of too much help as i dont have dsl myself, i personnaly prefer cable as it doesnt require all this software and network conenction crap, its just always there with no hassles

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    heh yea why i was at my friends place i searched google and saw what u said

and btw, with xp you dont need to use the verizon software. run the new connection wizard which can be found in the network connections folder in your control panel. you select that you want to configure internet connection, then choose configure connection manually, then choose broadband that requires a username and password, then go through the rest of the wizard entering in all the information you need. i cant be of too much help as i dont have dsl myself, i personnaly prefer cable as it doesnt require all this software and network conenction crap, its just always there with no hassles 
    luckily i remembed my id and password xP ... heh so i just did that and here i am back at home... man gotta hate those virus scanners they sux... seriously it didnt detect the program i dled ...

it was a swf to fla program calle IMPERATOR PATCH ... i double clicked it and ran it and then it was a cover up... it said it was installing but really it was eatting away my computer... luckily i realized it and shut down the computer quickly but enough damage was done... so i then formated my computer...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Soul814@10 April 2004 - 23:08

luckily i remembed my id and password xP ... heh so i just did that and here i am back at home... man gotta hate those virus scanners they sux... seriously it didnt detect the program i dled ...

it was a swf to fla program calle IMPERATOR PATCH ... i double clicked it and ran it and then it was a cover up... it said it was installing but really it was eatting away my computer... luckily i realized it and shut down the computer quickly but enough damage was done... so i then formated my computer...
    are you drunk? because over half of what you typed i couldnt understand lol...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Soul814@11 April 2004 - 04:08

Your virus scanner can't stop this because it is not a virus.

It is a malicious program advertised as something else. Since you might actually want a program which wipes your boot sector (I've got one and have used it occasionally) the virus scanner can't look for this so it is bound to let it through.

The problem is that YOU didn't do enough research about the software you downloaded, and the subsequent problems were of your own making.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by lynx+11 April 2004 - 09:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx &#064; 11 April 2004 - 09:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Soul814@11 April 2004 - 04:08

Your virus scanner can&#39;t stop this because it is not a virus.

It is a malicious program advertised as something else. Since you might actually want a program which wipes your boot sector (I&#39;ve got one and have used it occasionally) the virus scanner can&#39;t look for this so it is bound to let it through.

The problem is that YOU didn&#39;t do enough research about the software you downloaded, and the subsequent problems were of your own making.[/b][/quote]
    I&#39;ve used Kaspersky and have NAV and when I&#39;ve forgotten to disable them they&#39;ve both prevented me formatting hard drives and partitions.
    I thought all AV software worth it&#39;s salt had some sort of heuristic detection engine. Heh, that sounds horribly like some sort of mind-fuck&#33;
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008