Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Athlon Xp 3000+ Vs. P4 3.06 Ghz

Xanex's Avatar Poster
    I have always said that AMD where better than Intel.

Just look at the facts. You are putting a chip that runs at 2Ghz(approx) against a chip that runs at 3ghz(approx) including funky HT to it and the AMD chip can still open up a can of whoop ass ont he p4.

How can anyone say P4's are better when obviosuly a slower chip can still beat the p4 in almost all areas(bareing in mind that its also down to the programs that they run as some are generic some are p4 optimised and some are amd optimised)

GHz is NOT everything. and since amd's are far far cheaper than the compared p4 equivelent, amd anyday for me.

Xan

AMD ME

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    thanks i've been looking for an unbiased opinion on this

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Ex-member
    I tried, YodaX, I tried, but these people seem to have ignored the article.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    i have a pentium 4 2.66ghz pc and also a amd athlon2200 (1.8gghz) and i much prefer my amd athlon

pentium is still good but amd athlon is better

FACT

fuck Derby County

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    i would choose anthlon because its much cheaper and can have just the same performance as a p4

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    what uall dont relize is that Microsoft wrights for the newest intell chips insturtsion set hence the name "wintel"
    all AMD prossers are redesighins of the newest intell prosser becouse of this AMD is all ways playing a catch up game for example MMX,SSE, integer SSE,SSE2 all intell protacalls have built in suport in windows or direct x where as amds 3Dnow is not and each app that whant to use them must wright in suport for them though i think that MS final relented and added suport for it in Direct X i think there may have been a sute to make them but it was added as a backword compatablity not as a new feacher in there newest os

now this said since AMD are redoing the intell chips after intell comes out with new feachers (instruction sets) they have an advantage in being able to use newer tech to make them thus they are uasly faster (uasly at the cost of reliablity) the test that was used on the url that was posted was may or may not have been a fair comparison. u can find just as many sight that say the its the other way around i have never heard of that sight before (not that it mean there wrong) but the acknowlaged leader in bench testing is Zifdavis (and no i have not looked too see what they said)

what all this means is that if u want a prosser that will take advantage of the newest upcoming windows os and windows apps and have an exelent reliablity stick with intell

if all ur looking for is speed and dont care about forward compatablity or reliablity
    then go with AMD (also AMD cpus are a lot better if ur in to Overclocking as it has no temp senser to clock the cpu down when it gets too hot)

many of us can still rember how amd and cyrus(now owned by AMD) and such would not work with alot of apps and had many problems and do not wish to take the risk of it hapening again. (many of us thought that WINTELL did this on purpus) though i must say that AMD is much better at it now. but that is mostly that there has been no mager improvment to windows os and software since win98 and win 2k. xp is just a pritty user frendly version of win2k with no mager improvments

the P4 will shows its colors when apps and OS's that take advantage of the new instrutsion set come out

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Dood, what ever.

Toms hardware is one of the most respected hardware review sites on the internet. Just like Hardocp, inquirer.net, sharkeyextreme, everyone says the same thing.

And where amd beats out the p4 most often, is in applications... sysmark benches, etc. Where as intel usually beats it when it comes to gamming.

You sound like you knew about hardware like maybe 5 years ago, and havent kept pace.

You are gonna get no compatibility issues or reliability when it comes to an AMD... and if you think that, you truely are behind.

Why do you think Microsoft... the same on you say is writing for intel... only... is making a 64 bit windows version specifically for the AMD 64bit clawhammer? GEEE? I wonder... probably cuz amd knows whats up, and makes great processor

I dont see any windows versions made exlusively for that piece of shit itanium.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    BTW... love the avatar... marvin is the best looney tune without a doubt, and i have a extensive marvin the martian collection.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    South Cali where the beach is warm and the babes are hott!!!
    athlon, any day.......

don't get me wrong, Intel's are great, but unless u have money to waste on the same performance, if not less, and since they cost a whole helluva lot more, than an AMD, then be my guest......

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    may be i dint quiet make my self clear i did not say that AMD still had compatabllity issues they are doing a vary good job now just dont trust them becouse of there earlyer problems

and i still beleve that the intell cpus have greater reliability i use both types at work and i have never had to replace a intell cpu (over 1600 of them)where as i have replaced about 6 AMDs athlons (only 75 of them) what can i say i let someone (the head of finance) talk me in to trying them again they will be replaced with intell sys as they burn out from now on there is a reasion that they are cheaper its becouse there cheep i must admit in all honasty that they where all still under warnty so it didnt cost anything but my techs time and mine the first time it happened till we clued in on it being the cpu it kinda thru us for a loop as we didnt ever have a cpu go out on us before

too me (especially since i dont pay for them) the intell is way better cus i dont have to waste my time fixing them

and MS never dose anything cus its the best it dose it cus its the thing they can make money on and since so many peps now use AMD and have suporters like you ur all gona go nut for a os desighned for it they are vary good a markiting

as for being behind on hardware ya thats probly got some truth too it as it been about 3 years since i did much trobleshooting on a pc besides a few things my techs where stumped on i prity much just do the networking equipmet any more and even my techs do more help desk (software and network setup) then actual hardware troble shooting

now again i will say amd is a much beter cpu if ur gona overclock and\or ur gona upgrade every 1-2 years but if u want a comp that has great reliability and will still be working great in 4-5 years then intell is the way to go

oh ya marvin rocks i also like woodstock from charle brown hes the coolest

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast