Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Athlon Xp 3000+ Vs. P4 3.06 Ghz

Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by adthomp@24 March 2003 - 00:28
    AMD the best no question about it intel runs okay but to expensive and u cant clock it like amd
    I don't know what you're talking about, it's a well known fact that Intel chips have more overclockablilty than the AMD chips. Price is about the same, no huge difference.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    er where u get ur facts from? yo cant really clock a p4 cos it has the temp sensor on the chip that will clock the chip back if it gets too hot, and even with the correct cooling u need like liquid nitrogen to stop the p4 thinking its too hot, while the new athlons with proper cooling can be clocked further.

the overclockability you proably refer to is what i have mentiond in my previouse posts.

Intel made a sloppy chip, fact, look at the internal design, it was deliberate - but the bonus of that is it allows the same core to be taken further and achieve higher ghz, the chip can be taken further than the amd but only BY THE MANUFACTURER , who can set the safey feature on the p4 to stop it from clocking it self back when it "thinks" its too hot

amd have had more cores than p4 cos they belive in squeezing all the power they can outta the chip, u dont eat like half the apple b4 you move on to the next do u?

intel do

and think the feather and hammer thing i said about

Xan

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    The Pentium 4 architechture has a maximum potential of reaching a 5Ghz clock, while the Athlon architechtures have to be redisigned every time to support a higher clock. If you fully understood all the aspects of processor calculations and designs, you would know that the Pentium 4 and the Athlon are 2 very different chips. It's just so happens that Pentiums have always had better overclockablity. I'm not just making biased assumptions here or putting my two cents. These are facts, documented by many computer publications over the years.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    Yes i agree with.

The Pentium 4 architechture has a maximum potential of reaching a 5Ghz clock
    tho

while the Athlon architechtures have to be redisigned every time to support a higher clock
    is wrong, if i count right the athlon has had 3 -4 cores, of that morgan , barton and the other one i cant remember. p4 has had about 2-3 cores. northwood, willamina and some others

The term over-clock is not appropriate, by overclocking something you are taking it beyond the manufacturers settings, you can clock the chip with the bus setting and multiplyer based on the motherboard. the p4 may be able to reach 5ghz as its top speed but you cannot acheive that yet with normal methods of cooling, the chip has not got that far as for the home user. the home user cannot take the chip futher than what the manufacturer has allowed. socketA boards allow for greater bus speeds and multiplyers, so its not just down to the chip itself, try finding me a mobo that supports a 5ghz clock.

The thing is the p4 has this manufacturer setting that only allows the chip to clock so far. some cant be clocked at all. while athlon chips u can clock with out any special tools or equiptment. they are not locked like the p4.
    intel dont really belive in chip clocking, as they do not see it fitting for a home user to mess with thier chips. that is why

If you fully understood all the aspects of processor calculations and designs, you would know that the Pentium 4 and the Athlon are 2 very different chips
    Yes they are 2 very different chips, state the obviouse y dont you, tho im sorry but i DO understand chip architecture, i have a degree to proove it. so dont go thinking im some newb. i speak with the knowlage of a university degree and practical use, i have had many hours tinkering with chips etc. and in all my time i have never even heard of the pentium as being known for a good chip to overclock. being a university student i have many friends who will also back me up on this that pentium chips are not worth clocking.

can i ask if u fully understand processor calculations and designs?

Xanex

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    An intersting thing about the new chips, p4 3/16 HT and the amd 3000+ is that the amd now has a larger cache. not only that but its also seperate.

the p4 uses its cache inefficiently, u have 2 levels L1 which is small but runs at speeds near the chip speed and L2 being bigger but alot slower. now when instructions are sent to the cpu they are put into the cache, the instructions which are used the most are stored in L1 other not so used are put in L2, which in cpu terms is like from london to brighton.

BUT what the p4 does is duplicate all the instructions in L1 into L2, for some unknown reason, fails to enlighten me, while amd dont duplicate what L1 has into L2, thus making the chip faster.

intel have always done this and amd almost always did it the other, but to me what is the point in wasting cache since £ for £ its more expensive than the higest spec DDR

so who makes a better more "intelligent" chip, figure that out yourself

Xanex

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    The 2 different cache setups have their advantages and disadvanteges. Sometimes the Athlon chache is fast, other times the Pentium cache is faster. Go to the link in Lamseys original post, as it goes into great detail how they differ.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Athlon pisses all over Intel!!! Only people with Intel will say it is better, I have used PC's with both and Athlon is best by far, especially for gaming.
    No point in argueing about it AHLON BEST (FACT&#33.
    A nice Geforce 4 Titanium complements it quite nicely.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by Yomanda_66@29 March 2003 - 13:00
    Athlon pisses all over Intel!!! Only people with Intel will say it is better, I have used PC's with both and Athlon is best by far, especially for gaming.
    No point in argueing about it AHLON BEST (FACT&#33.
    A nice Geforce 4 Titanium complements it quite nicely.
    Read the article in the original post.

I'll say it before and I'll say it again.

Intel has slighly better overall high-end performance while AMD are much better value for money.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Intel is faster....AMD is cheaper. That's it. Period. If you don't have the money go for AMD , if you do go for intel.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    AMD is coming out with Sledgehammer! 4.0ghz I heard! drool

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast