Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ive Stuffed It Up ! Help

ok just to check you are doing things correctly

when you start you computer and it comes to the point where it says press any key to boot from cdrom, you do that right

then does it give you that error

the reason i say this is cause the cdrom boot doesnt use the NTLDR on startup

that error comes up when you are still booting from the hd and the main start file is currupt or missing

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    BANNED
    Try this m8 if you can get a copy of win2k.Format the hdd with 2k,try again installin xp.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Poster
    appreciate the help guys

@ wienerschnitzel - u sure that will work? iv got XP

p.s u guys i have a recovery disk that came with my computer.... (p.s the computer has had a massive upgrade since i got it.... everything is upgraded except the monitor and HDD Lol

im currently onto something

i am able to use fdisk (win98 dos thing)

ill keep ya posted...

p.s stay with me on this one guys

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Poster
    damnit nothing is working for me!!!!!!!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Originally posted by delphin460@13 April 2004 - 06:55

when you start you computer and it comes to the point where it says press any key to boot from cdrom, you do that right

that error comes up when you are still booting from the hd and the main start file is currupt or missing
    answer my question above plz

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Poster
    Originally posted by ck-uk@13 April 2004 - 19:10
    Try this m8 if you can get a copy of win2k.Format the hdd with 2k,try again installin xp.
    i have

> a recovery disk

>win 98 cd

>win XP pro cd

that NTLDR error is gone...

but in place of it is the words

Missing operating system_

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by delphin460+13 April 2004 - 22:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (delphin460 @ 13 April 2004 - 22:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-delphin460@13 April 2004 - 06:55

answer my question above plz [/b][/quote]
    sorry,

yeah it doesnt even give me a chance to press a button to boot from CD

it sez

BOOT FROM CD:

then very quickly afterwards it sez missing operating system

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    muchspl2
    your not doing something right, sorry
    have you formated before ?
    `

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    ok, it doesnt give you a chance, because the cd you are trying to boot for is currupt
    in that its not bootable

and so its is just going straight into booting from the h/d instead

you need to get a working windows bootable cd

it should give you about 15 seconds to press the keyboard, to get it to boot b4 it goes back to the next boot drive

This is your problem, until you get this fixed you wont be able to install any operating system mate

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by delphin460@13 April 2004 - 15:49
    This is your problem, until you get this fixed you wont be able to install any operating system mate
    Not so.

Dray: If you haven&#39;t got a bootable floppy, head over to Bootdisk.Com and get one - you can use a Win98 one.
    Boot from the floppy, enabling CDROM support.
    Now use DOS to run the setup... the only DOS commands you&#39;ll need to use are CD & DIR.
    Once booted you should see A:> on the screen, so you need to find your CDROM drive letter...
    - type D: and hit return, the prompt changes to D:>.
    - type DIR /P the hit return and you&#39;ll get a directory list of the D: drive - if it&#39;s the CDROM drive you&#39;ll see it spin as it&#39;s accessed. The /P switch, incidentally, stops a list scrolling past the screen before you can read it
    - if that&#39;s not the CDROM drive, type E:, hit return and then DIR /P then return. If that&#39;s not it, keep going up the letters until you find it&#33;
    Once you&#39;re on the CD drive, you&#39;ll need to find the i386 directory, which is usually inside another directory often called WINDOWS. The DIR command shows you the directory names so go into each in turn and use DIR until you see the i386 directory...
    For the sake of example let&#39;s say your CD drive is E: and there are directories on it called WINDOWS, WINXP, PROGRAMS & UPDATES, although obviously your CD could contain anything or even just i386.
    - from the E:> prompt, type CD WINDOWS hit return, then DIR /P then return and read the list you get. If you see i386 then you can CD into that, otherwise CD into other directories in your search. When you want to go back up out of a directory, for instance if the WINDOWS directory holds nothing useful, type CD .. and hit return, which will take you back up a level, until you get back to the root directory of the CD.
    You can see exactly where you are on a drive from the prompt. Let&#39;s say that you CD into WINXP on my imaginary disc and find the i386 directory there, type CD I386, hit return and you&#39;ll see the prompt has changed to E:&#092;WINXP&#092;I386>.
    - once in the i386 directory you could just type SETUP /? to get the setup to show you it&#39;s command line options. I don&#39;t know about XP, but all other Windows setups have option switches that control things like whether to perform a scandisk, show billboards, make a boot floppy or other stuff during the install. You use the switches after the filename by typing something like SETUP /I /G /A or whatever you choose from the available switch options.
    OK, once the setup is running you&#39;re where you&#39;d be if you had a bootable CD.

please note that I am typing this from memory and haven&#39;t used this method with WindowsXP myself, so if you find you haven&#39;t got a file called SETUP but do have one called INSTALL then usae your initiative.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast