Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is With Americans' Unlimited Wants?

Double Agent
    Just today on Jay Leno's show, they were interviewing John Travolta's home in Florida. It has eight parking spaces - six for his cars and two for his aeroplanes. Oh, and a 1.4 mile runway round the back.

"Travolta flew daily from home to Tampa during last autumn's shoot of The Punisher, an action movie based on the antics of a Marvel comic-book hero, due to be released this spring. The actor, according to a local newspaper, "can walk out his door, under a canopied walkway and into the cockpit [of his Boeing], open the long mechanised gate [giving on to the runway] and be airborne in minutes."

Not being jealous or anything but why would anybody fly a boeing jet just to go to work when he could've flown a smaller plane or driven one of his six luxurious cars to work? So he had to fly his fancy 707, consume a shitload of fuel when most in other parts of the world who are still suffering for it, like America's bombing the shit out of Iraq just few a billion dollars a year worth of oil?

I dont care how much money u make or how famous you are, it just doesn't seem right to me.

This has gone far enough. The rest of the world can not sustain what America is using the resources at the rate it is using right now. On average, Americans use more water, more fuel, more energy, they eat more than the whole world combined. When are they gonna learn that the world is not full of fresh water, free oil oozing from the ground, and other resources that they can just TAKE without any justifiable reasons?

This is not an attack on American ideals, not an attack on American pride, not an attack on American Patriotism. So any Americans here please dont be so quick to judge my post. Just take a step back and think about it. Is it really worth all the efforts just to fulfill some "American Dream" at the expense of the rest of the world?

Thank you all for reading my post.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    I'm sure Travolta did this because he's rich and loves planes. I think it's safe to say that his spending habits has nothing to do with duty, God, and country. But if you had won the Revolutionary war, would you have entitled this thread "What Is With British Unlimited Wants?" Let's throw out the nationality label and call it what it is...an eccentric millionaire being eccentric. BTW, Travolta does have a British counterpart: Richard Branson. Both have plenty of money, both love flying (balloon vs plane ) and both are eccentric.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    BANNED
    I suppose its just his pleasure mate.I've heard abot him many times over the yrs loving his flying.To him its like any other wealthy person or celeb driving their ferrari down the highway

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Double Agent
    i may have used John as an example but can we look at this on a more general setting?

like the American general public?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@13 April 2004 - 10:32
    i may have used John as an example but can we look at this on a more general setting?

like the American general public?
    Do they all go to work in private Boeing 707's?

Wow I am moving to the USA too...

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    jetje's Avatar former star
    i'm gonna move this to world news events serious debates...
    (so no flaming no more, removed some posts that weren't on topic).

My opinion is you see the bigger picture in this, it's not ust americans that use the limited natural resources in the world. I guess everyone should take part on how to save the resources. John is an example but as someone prior stated those examples can be found in the whole world

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Like the Tyco CEO. I wish I had a birthday party like that.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@13 April 2004 - 09:36

hell i wish i had a million dollar puffy party!

but hey they earn there money and are spending it anyway they want !
    hell i would!...but it must be pretty expensive driving jets all day with gas prices at alll time high??

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@13 April 2004 - 05:20
    Just today on Jay Leno's show, they were interviewing John Travolta's home in Florida. It has eight parking spaces - six for his cars and two for his aeroplanes. Oh, and a 1.4 mile runway round the back.

"Travolta flew daily from home to Tampa during last autumn's shoot of The Punisher, an action movie based on the antics of a Marvel comic-book hero, due to be released this spring. The actor, according to a local newspaper, "can walk out his door, under a canopied walkway and into the cockpit [of his Boeing], open the long mechanised gate [giving on to the runway] and be airborne in minutes."

Not being jealous or anything but why would anybody fly a boeing jet just to go to work when he could've flown a smaller plane or driven one of his six luxurious cars to work? So he had to fly his fancy 707, consume a shitload of fuel when most in other parts of the world who are still suffering for it, like America's bombing the shit out of Iraq just few a billion dollars a year worth of oil?

I dont care how much money u make or how famous you are, it just doesn't seem right to me.

This has gone far enough. The rest of the world can not sustain what America is using the resources at the rate it is using right now. On average, Americans use more water, more fuel, more energy, they eat more than the whole world combined. When are they gonna learn that the world is not full of fresh water, free oil oozing from the ground, and other resources that they can just TAKE without any justifiable reasons?

This is not an attack on American ideals, not an attack on American pride, not an attack on American Patriotism. So any Americans here please dont be so quick to judge my post. Just take a step back and think about it. Is it really worth all the efforts just to fulfill some "American Dream" at the expense of the rest of the world?

Thank you all for reading my post.
    Very ignorant post.

The labeling is horrible. Everyone has their standards of what is excessive. I supposed we (the American general public) live in excess.

Some say we shouldn't drive SUV's. You failed to mention those that live in excess in the Arab world.....better yet the rich world.

It seems you have honed in America because you would like to live here.

Otherwise, you would have realized that many "rich" people live in excess.
    If you get water from a well, be happy.

There are Americans that do that too.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by bujub22+13 April 2004 - 14:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bujub22 @ 13 April 2004 - 14:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MagicNakor@13 April 2004 - 09:36

hell i wish i had a million dollar puffy party&#33;

but hey they earn there money and are spending it anyway they want &#33;
    hell i would&#33;...but it must be pretty expensive driving jets all day with gas prices at alll time high?? [/b][/quote]
    Well, the ex-Tyco CEO didn&#39;t really earn the money. He&#39;s being charged with grand larceny, falsifying business records, violating state business laws, tax evasion, and fraud, I believe. I don&#39;t think the jury&#39;s decided on his fate yet.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast