Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sapphire Water

dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    http://www.nypost.com/business/18275.htm

I saw this stuff on Good Morning America this morning. It looks and acts exactly like water, but they stuck Charles Gibsons laptop in a tank full of the stuff and it continued running under water. They submerged a flatscreen TV airing GMA and it worked flawlessly. They put a book in the water, and a few minutes later it was completely dry with absolutly no water damage.

It would be fun to go swimming in.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Sounds, um....refreshing.

Doesn't seem like it would be the next big thing on the laundry scene, though; of course, you'd save on towels, so there's a plus....
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I would like to know the effects when and if this stuff gets into the regular water supply.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Originally posted by Busyman@13 April 2004 - 09:28
    I would like to know the effects when and if this stuff gets into the regular water supply.
    ...which, if it is used for fire-suppression (as touted), will undoubtedly occur...

I think we need more info.

Sounds good for Tyco, though.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    It's unsafe to drink, although it supposedly evaporates quickly. I can't imagine that it could do much harm if it got into the water supply in small amounts, what with all the shit already in it.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@13 April 2004 - 17:52
    It's unsafe to drink, although it supposedly evaporates quickly. I can't imagine that it could do much harm if it got into the water supply in small amounts, what with all the shit already in it.

True enough, MN, but even given the relatively advanced state of water treatment technology, how would one go about removing "unsafe to drink" water from real water?

How would being mixed with the real thing affect it's evaporative properties?

If it's specific gravity is the same....or is it?

Need to know more, I think.

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I think it's more a mix of various chemicals that they just call water, probably something like that red fire powder.

Image Resized
    [img]http://www.nps.gov/meve/fire/plane01.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> is what I'm talking about. I can't remember what it's called.

As for advanced water treatments, I'm not really very informed on those. My water is *always* unsafe to drink, without boiling it for 3 minutes. The government's health department is going to smack us with the big "Fix It" stick soon, because it's way below standards. I've heard things about reverse osmosis being able to remove 99% of chemicals from water (such as hormones and other by-products from human medication), so I would imagine that the same type of process would filter out whatever makes up the fake water.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Iimagine we'll find out in due course, eh?

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Poster
    Are we suggesting that companies will put "water" in sprinkler system, which they themselves describe as "unsafe to drink" then spray it onto people.

They are going to do this in the USA, the most litigious place on the planet.

It's one thing to provide a product which is unsafe to drink. If the person then drinks it in spite of the warning then it is their own fault (tho' in the US one wonders).

However for a building owner, or employer spray it on people. It simply beggars belief.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    My suspicion is that they just didn't want people to drink entire glasses of the stuff. It probably makes you sick.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast