Thread: Why Won't Start/run Work?

Poster
    when i use start/run (u no msconfig and all that) as soon as i type in the box msconfig and hit return it starts to load the cammand and half way though the process it stops
    Also when i press ctrl,alt,del to cancell some processes etc.. the box pops up on the screen for 1sec than it disserpeares

what on earth is going on

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I know its silly but you dont have a Key stuck down do you lol

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by foot loose@14 April 2004 - 23:33
    when i use start/run (u no msconfig and all that) as soon as i type in the box msconfig and hit return it starts to load the cammand and half way though the process it stops
    Also when i press ctrl,alt,del to cancell some processes etc.. the box pops up on the screen for 1sec than it disserpeares

what on earth is going on
    not sure I (and we) understand you.

So you went start-> run -> msconfig

and a Dos box came up and closed?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    its a virus, ive had that one before. regedit, msconfig, services.msc, management console, task manager, all dont open up. get a good virus scanner, avg is good for this situation, and do a full scan of the system.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    used AVG it found some worm on spybot and on some other exe in the windows folder.. right it cleaned the worm on spybot and i could not clean the other one so it asked me if i want to delete it i said yes... start/run/ms config still don't work

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I'd say the virus/worm corrupted your OS. I'd say a complete reinstall is in order.

First I'd try RegSeeker (freeware). Maybe & just maybe it can delete some more entries. That might help. I doubt it though.

But the real solution is to learn how to "harden" your OS. Then start over.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    yeh i did that i reinstalled windows. how do i make my OS toughter ive got the usual sygate,zone alarm, AVG etc.. what more do i need????

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    First junk ZA. You're going to have problems running 2 firewalls. And Sygate is the best.

Get Avast! home editon imho better than AVG.

Then these other programs when properly used & updated will harden your OS. All including above are freeware. SpywareBlaster 3.1, RegProt 2.0 & ScriTrap. And Spybot Search & Destroy. But you must learn how to set these programs up. Not all are automatic. And don't go onto unfamilar & untrustworthy cr*ck sites or other stupid computer behavior & expect to be trouble free. And get all the CRITICAL (not the recommended) updates for your OS.

These are my opinions.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    NICE 1 you learn somthing new everyday