Thread: Routers

hey people this is my first post and first of all i want to say that i'm kinda new to computers. well here's my question i do filesharing at a soulseek (i'm assumeing you all know what soulseek is) and the people in there showed me how to turn off my firewall but i guess i have a router too but nobody knows how to turn it off and someone told me if i had any questions i should join this board and ask questions here so if any body can please help me out with this i'd appreciate it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    first of all, welcome to the board

second, u dont know if u have a router? what kind of internet connection you have, and whats between your computer and broadband modem if you have broadband...?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i have MSN DSL internet connection

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ok so im guessing you have an external modem correct? is it connected to your computer through USB or ehthernet?

here are examples:

This is ethernet: (looks like a wide pphone wire)
    Image Resized
    [img]http://www.tv-hanno.co.jp/about/info/man/initial/ethernet.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

This is USB:

and is their anything else connected between the modem and computer? (would be the router) (thats if u ahve an ethernet connection)

here is a pic of a router, yours may look different...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    yeah i have a router and i'm connected with ethernet i didn't know that box was the router

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    so i would just turn that off but how would i stay connected to the internet all the time with out interupting the phone line?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    router has nothing to do with the phone line being interupted

try connectiong the dsl modem directly to the computer, bypassing the router completely. then restart and startup soulseek and try to connect. if it works then we know its a probablem with your router.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    What exactly are you aking for? Why would you turn off your router? Also, turn back on your firewall.

I guess that as you are using soulseek, you want to know how to port forward?

For better performance of soulseek, port 2234 should be forwarded to your computer. Find out whether or not this is the case here.

If you have this port reportedly closed, check here for some guides on port forwarding.