Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprocket's New Home

and don't let it leak this time
    I know I know, it's not a laughing matter...
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Rossco, you must be thinking of someone else.

K, I'll do my best.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by clocker@15 April 2004 - 23:01
    Rossco, you must be thinking of someone else.

K, I'll do my best.
    if using water:

mount the reservoir below the top of the case and add a hole on the top for easy water/anti-algae addage. try another hole on the front of the case (side interferes with removeable panel, and the other side has a mobo on it) below the reservoir, allowing for easy drainage.

also, how bout adding 6 radiators? three on each side lol.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by atiVidia@15 April 2004 - 22:14

also, how bout adding 6 radiators? three on each side lol.
    In series or parallel?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    A *BUMP* disguised as a small update.

Last night I moved Sprocket into her new home...well sorta.
    As I said, I was interested in gathering some baseline data for this new case, so basically I just threw the parts in willy-nilly.
    No attempt was made to be neat.

The wiring for my new Antec PSU is incredibly long and will require some serious management as space is at somewhat of a premium.

The 40mm fan in the CoolDrive 3 HDD enclosure is incredibly irritating ( what did I expect?) and two of the LEDs in the Zalman fan control panel refuse to work.
    Oh, the horror!

The review of the Centurion case That I posted was pretty much dead on...the back plate is super cheesy and will take some work to fix.
    The slots for the PCI cards are simply stamped out ( and left in place) and are a pain to remove without twisting/bending the thin rail left inbetween. Once removed, it's up to you to find filler strips. No biggie, thought I, I have a boxfull.
    HA!
    They don't fit/work with the odd retention setup in this case.
    Other than that, installation went well.
    After a night of Folding my temps seem to be about 8-9 degC higher than in the Muffin case.
    My highest diode temp ( reported by MBM5) was 44...currently ( in the cool of the morning) at 42c.
    My socket temp runs about 3 degrees cooler...not bad, considering that this case doesn't have the socket/mobo fan mod yet ( if ever...).

All in all, an interesting result.
    The temps are actually already within my desired target range despite the lack of case fans ( did I forget to mention? No case fans installed at all...only airflow provided by the HSF and the two fans in the Antec PSU) and HSF running at very slow speed.

So...where to go from here?
    I'm not sure.

Oh, BTW...yesterday, while visiting my local PC shop, I got a copy of the MS SP2 Beta.
    They had just returned from a Microsoft seminar and this is the real MS approved version of the Service Pack that will be released soon.
    Unwilling to use one of their customer's PCs as a guinea pig, they asked me to try it out.
    How could I refuse...they have been very good to me.

Essentially, SP2 seems to be a complete rollup of all the MS Critical Updates to date with a few extra features.
    It adds two icons to your Control Center...."Windows Firewall" and "Security Center".
    The Firewall icon does nothing..."Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display firewall settings...."
    The Security Center has a window displaying options for the firewall settings ( hmmm...seems a bit redundant, eh?) along with an option to enable "Windows Update" and also a "detect anri-virus software" section.
    Oddly, Windows does not detect Grisoft AVG as being present on my machine.

Essentially, the Security Control seems to be an easy was for nOObs to get to options that are already available in a standard Windows install.
    Just for grins I disabled ZoneAlarm Pro and ran my PC through the ShieldsUp! port test.
    Pretty much the same reults...totally stealthed with the exception of the infamous port 113, which was "closed" ( supposedly ZA will "learn" to adaptively stealth this port, but so far mine has not...).
    I'm not familiar with the features of the Windows firewall, so for the time being I'll probably continue to use ZoneAlarm.
    On Monday I'm going to take my machine down to the shop and let them scan it and see what (if any) hidden settings are enabled by SP2, but so far everything seems to work just fine.
    If I have time before then ( doubtful, considering the amount of work necessary to clean up Sprocket's interior) I will do a fresh install of Windows and install SP2 instead of SP1 and see what happens.

More to follow as time permits...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@17 April 2004 - 10:07
    A *BUMP* disguised as a small update.

Last night I moved Sprocket into her new home...well sorta.
    As I said, I was interested in gathering some baseline data for this new case, so basically I just threw the parts in willy-nilly.
    No attempt was made to be neat.

The wiring for my new Antec PSU is incredibly long and will require some serious management as space is at somewhat of a premium.

The 40mm fan in the CoolDrive 3 HDD enclosure is incredibly irritating ( what did I expect?) and two of the LEDs in the Zalman fan control panel refuse to work.
    Oh, the horror!

The review of the Centurion case That I posted was pretty much dead on...the back plate is super cheesy and will take some work to fix.
    The slots for the PCI cards are simply stamped out ( and left in place) and are a pain to remove without twisting/bending the thin rail left inbetween. Once removed, it's up to you to find filler strips. No biggie, thought I, I have a boxfull.
    HA!
    They don't fit/work with the odd retention setup in this case.
    Other than that, installation went well.
    After a night of Folding my temps seem to be about 8-9 degC higher than in the Muffin case.
    My highest diode temp ( reported by MBM5) was 44...currently ( in the cool of the morning) at 42c.
    My socket temp runs about 3 degrees cooler...not bad, considering that this case doesn't have the socket/mobo fan mod yet ( if ever...).

All in all, an interesting result.
    The temps are actually already within my desired target range despite the lack of case fans ( did I forget to mention? No case fans installed at all...only airflow provided by the HSF and the two fans in the Antec PSU) and HSF running at very slow speed.

So...where to go from here?
    I'm not sure.

Oh, BTW...yesterday, while visiting my local PC shop, I got a copy of the MS SP2 Beta.
    They had just returned from a Microsoft seminar and this is the real MS approved version of the Service Pack that will be released soon.
    Unwilling to use one of their customer's PCs as a guinea pig, they asked me to try it out.
    How could I refuse...they have been very good to me.

Essentially, SP2 seems to be a complete rollup of all the MS Critical Updates to date with a few extra features.
    It adds two icons to your Control Center...."Windows Firewall" and "Security Center".
    The Firewall icon does nothing..."Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display firewall settings...."
    The Security Center has a window displaying options for the firewall settings ( hmmm...seems a bit redundant, eh?) along with an option to enable "Windows Update" and also a "detect anri-virus software" section.
    Oddly, Windows does not detect Grisoft AVG as being present on my machine.

Essentially, the Security Control seems to be an easy was for nOObs to get to options that are already available in a standard Windows install.
    Just for grins I disabled ZoneAlarm Pro and ran my PC through the ShieldsUp! port test.
    Pretty much the same reults...totally stealthed with the exception of the infamous port 113, which was "closed" ( supposedly ZA will "learn" to adaptively stealth this port, but so far mine has not...).
    I'm not familiar with the features of the Windows firewall, so for the time being I'll probably continue to use ZoneAlarm.
    On Monday I'm going to take my machine down to the shop and let them scan it and see what (if any) hidden settings are enabled by SP2, but so far everything seems to work just fine.
    If I have time before then ( doubtful, considering the amount of work necessary to clean up Sprocket's interior) I will do a fresh install of Windows and install SP2 instead of SP1 and see what happens.

More to follow as time permits...
    SP2 has been available from microsoft to all betaplace.com members for quiet a while. i used it for a few months but recently got bored of all the errors with certain combinations of programs being opened, so i went back to service pack 1 for now. btw, what version is yours? that last one i used was RC1...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    those temps are not bad at all considering you have no fans lol
    I thought you were gonna use your aquarius II though?
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Rossco,
    BelArc Advisor shows my installation as being SP2 KB811113...whatever that means.

K,
    Did you have a good birthday?

Today I'm going to perform some serious wire/cable management and also strip down the case to remove the restrictive stamped fan grills...I was too lazy to dig out my nibblers last night.
    Then I'll install the watercooling.
    I got a new Zalman waterblock to try ( I decided on this one mainly because it comes with the necessary fittings for tubing from 1/4" , which works with the Aquarius pump and radiator, up to 1/2" (I think), necessary for serious water rigs...).
    As you know, arranging the wiring can be very time-consuming, so I don't know how far I'll get today, but when Sprocket is cleaned up enough not to be embarrassing I'll take some pics.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@17 April 2004 - 10:51
    Rossco,
    BelArc Advisor shows my installation as being SP2  KB811113...whatever that means.

K,
    Did you have a good birthday?

Today I'm going to perform some serious wire/cable management and also strip down the case to remove the restrictive stamped fan grills...I was too lazy to dig out my nibblers last night.
    Then I'll install the watercooling.
    I got a new Zalman waterblock to try ( I decided on this one mainly because it comes with the necessary fittings for tubing from 1/4" , which works with the Aquarius pump and radiator, up to 1/2" (I think), necessary for serious water rigs...).
    As you know, arranging the wiring can be very time-consuming, so I don't know how far I'll get today, but when Sprocket is cleaned up enough not to be embarrassing I'll take some pics.
    clocker, right click my computer and click properties, then at the top what does it say for your version of windows?

edit: what i mean is the build number...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    It say....

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 2002

Service Pack 2, v 2096

Now, what does that tell you?

BTW, Sprocket is now running watercooled.
    So far, temps are under 40....

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast