Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 142122232425 LastLast

Thread: Sprocket's New Home

Originally posted by clocker+25 June 2004 - 15:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 25 June 2004 - 15:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kaiweiler@25 June 2004 - 10:58

What&#39;s your next move?
    Unfortunately K, up to this point no one has seen fit to shower me with free parts to test.
    It would be nice though, wouldn&#39;t it?

Next move is to add the northbridge to the waterloop.
    I have already ( this AM) gathered what I believe are the necessary hardware bits to do this.
    As long as I have the case stripped down to install the waterblock I also want to fabricate a new mount for the HDD.
    I have an idea, but won&#39;t know specifically how to implement it till the case is bare.
    No too sure when I&#39;ll feel like doing this...feeling kinda lazy today... [/b][/quote]
    When you add your NB to the loop, don&#39;t be surprised when your CPU temps raise a few degrees. I don&#39;t think the pump you have is all that strong so the CPU waterblock will be getting a lot less waterflow with the added block for the NB. Your temps are going to raise a bit but with the NB water cooled you can probably handle a much higher FSB which would be nice.
    You&#39;d be sacrificing a few degrees onto your CPU temp for a little better overclock.
    Every move has it&#39;s ups and downs
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #232
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@25 June 2004 - 12:36

When you add your NB to the loop, don&#39;t be surprised when your CPU temps raise a few degrees.
    I won&#39;t be, but don&#39;t you be surprised if it doesn&#39;t.

I have been reading up on the so-called "German watercooling theories" ( mostly popularized by a company called Aquacool who&#39;s parts are Mercedes quality).
    They disdain the high volume, high flow setups so popular here and go for slower, smaller components.
    This agrees with what I learned about watercooling on racebikes ( yes, I know it&#39;s not the same thing exactly).
    Move the coolant too fast through the loop and it doesn&#39;t have a chance to thoroughly pickup or shed the heat properly.
    Two-stroke GP race bikes come with restrictor plates ( a very simple thermostat type arrangement really) that you can change to achieve the proper cooling level for the particular circumstances.

I think it&#39;s complete overkill for me to even consider watercooling the northbridge, but practicality has never been my strong suit anyway.

After that is the video card, of course.
    Now there is a real technical challenge...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #233
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Sounds cool clocker, good luck with adding in the graphics card to teh loop, gonna cause a lot of extra tubing and joints and stuff to get around to teh underneath of the card...

all im gonna say, kinda feeling sick :x (not related to you lol)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #234
    Get well soon, Ross.

I&#39;m not really planning on adding the vidcard into the loop, I was only commenting on what a challenge it would be.
    Thinking about it makes me feel a trifle queasy.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #235
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@25 June 2004 - 23:11
    Thinking about it makes me feel a trifle queasy.
    You, clocker,, can feel sick&#33; MY GOD&#33; whole world is collapsing, i do&#39;t know what to think anymore

Maybe drugs are my answer, ya yya drugs, i think ill start shootin up some harowin, that will make me feel better...making me feel better already.

:

by the way, i really do feel better, already, lol.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #236
    Welcome to Clocker&#39;s Saturday Afternoon Modding Party&#33;

Today&#39;s main attractions are....
    Addition of the northbridge to the waterloop...
    Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/mini-waterblock.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>
    And...
    The new HDD cradle/mount...
    Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/mini-HDDcradle.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>
    Purchasing the Zalman waterblock a few months ago left the stock TT block as surplus and I have often thought it would make a fine block for the northbridge.
    So, today I made it so.
    Pretty straightforward mounting arrangement, just large fender washers acting as clamps at either end did the trick.
    Too soon to tell what effect, if any, this will have on performance or temps, but I did lose the northbridge cooling fan in the conversion and that has to be good ( noisewise, at least).
    The HDD cradle works better than I&#39;d hoped...the disk whine has been totally eliminated and the seek noise diminished.
    No change to the HDD temp despite the loss of the fan from my original mount.
    I&#39;m thinking of a good way to get some air flowing over the top of the drive...that may be more trouble than it&#39;s worth.
    Again, a few days to gather some data will tell me what I have to do.

Thanks for coming, see you again soon.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #237
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Nice work, clocker. I could never come up with any as ingenious as that hdd cradle mount thing, whatever u call it lol, very good work.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #238
    Thank you Ross.
    I&#39;ve never had 11 consecutive topic responses in HWworld like you do now.

Oh wait...damn Tormentor snuck in and killed the continuity.
    Get to work, you slacker&#33;

9. Software & Hardware   -   #239
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@26 June 2004 - 22:02
    Thank you Ross.
    I&#39;ve never had 11 consecutive topic responses in HWworld like you do now.

Oh wait...damn Tormentor snuck in and killed the continuity.
    Get to work, you slacker&#33;
    Did you see last night? i had a screenshot, but i deleted it cause i was bored

wait a few, maybe i can recover it...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #240
    Let me guess...you papered the entire board.
    Every single topic had a ROSSCO response.

Too easy, my friend.
    It&#39;s very slow around here lately.
    Try doing that in November.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 142122232425 LastLast