Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 Hardrives

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Just wondering does cache hurt ? So I have a 60GB 2MB cache THEN add a 120gb 8mb drive so its running or seeking at the lower speed?

Edit: Would I really notice the difference?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    I'd have said that you should have your current hard drive on primary master, your new hard drive on secondary master and your optical drive on secondary slave

If you have another optical drive, I'd have had it on primary slave
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Sorry 4 th Are you answering my Question?

So I would set the 8mb cache harddrive as master then?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by peat moss@16 April 2004 - 06:37
    Sorry 4 th Are you answering my Question?

So I would set the 8mb cache harddrive as master then?
    No, sorry. I was answering the original question, because I didn't think Rosco's config was the best.

As to your question, yeah, there is a noticable difference between 2MB cache and 8MB cache, in my experience. If possible, you should put programs and games on the faster drive (i.e. the 8MB cache drive)
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Thank you 4th

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by 4th gen@16 April 2004 - 02:33
    I'd have said that you should have your current hard drive on primary master, your new hard drive on secondary master and your optical drive on secondary slave

If you have another optical drive, I'd have had it on primary slave
    I don see how that config is better than mine. the new hard drive will be slowed down by the cdrom drive if its a lower ATA transfer rate (like say ata33 or ata66) and also if he does have 2 cd-rom drives then one of them would be hooked up with the old hard drive and be slowing it down too.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by ziggyjuarez@15 April 2004 - 20:13
    I'm thinking of adding another hard drive to my comp.The one i have now is 147GIG,but im thinking of adding another 200 gig drive but someone told me it can slow down your PC.If so what can i buy to stop this from happening
    Wow...that's alot of disc storage, do you really need that much?

I would think that your best layout would be to add a 20-40Gb SATA drive as your master ( if your board will support it) and use your bigger ( and slower) drive as storage.
    Put your OS and and apps on the SATA and you'll get faster boot/access times, leaving the 147Gb(?) drive to store whatever it is you need but
    don't access frequently.

At any rate DO NOT put a HDD and an optical drive on the same channel.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@16 April 2004 - 12:09
    I don see how that config is better than mine. the new hard drive will be slowed down by the cdrom drive if its a lower ATA transfer rate (like say ata33 or ata66) and also if he does have 2 cd-rom drives then one of them would be hooked up with the old hard drive and be slowing it down too.
    How often does the person use the cd drive?

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+16 April 2004 - 13:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 16 April 2004 - 13:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-4th gen@16 April 2004 - 02:33
    I&#39;d have said that you should have your current hard drive on primary master, your new hard drive on secondary master and your optical drive on secondary slave

If you have another optical drive, I&#39;d have had it on primary slave
    I don see how that config is better than mine. the new hard drive will be slowed down by the cdrom drive if its a lower ATA transfer rate (like say ata33 or ata66) and also if he does have 2 cd-rom drives then one of them would be hooked up with the old hard drive and be slowing it down too. [/b][/quote]
    That is no longer true. It used to be true of early drives, but the later ATA specification has overcome this problem (unless you&#39;ve got some VERY old optical drives).

The best config depends on how and where you are going to store data, and assuming you are burning cd&#39;s where the source is.

You will probably not be using cd&#39;s much of the time, so it is probably best to put the two hard drives as master on each IDE channel. Assuming you will be burning data from the second hard drive your cd burner (or the one you use most if you&#39;ve got more than one) should be the slave drive on the primary IDE channel. Any other optical device can go as the slave on the secondary IDE channel.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by clocker+16 April 2004 - 13:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 16 April 2004 - 13:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-ziggyjuarez@15 April 2004 - 20:13
    I&#39;m thinking of adding another hard drive to my comp.The one i have now is 147GIG,but im thinking of adding another 200 gig drive but someone told me it can slow down your PC.If so what can i buy to stop this from happening
    Wow...that&#39;s alot of disc storage, do you really need that much?

I would think that your best layout would be to add a 20-40Gb SATA drive as your master ( if your board will support it) and use your bigger ( and slower) drive as storage.
    Put your OS and and apps on the SATA and you&#39;ll get faster boot/access times, leaving the 147Gb(?) drive to store whatever it is you need but
    don&#39;t access frequently.

At any rate DO NOT put a HDD and an optical drive on the same channel.[/b][/quote]
    yes i do.I D/l DVD&#39;s full CD&#39;s and um dont sell um

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12