Thread: Streetball

Poster
    I am trying to improve my basketball skills by learning some streetball. I have been watching the and1 mix tapes to give me help but has anyone else got any good websites they would like to share to help me improve?

2. Lounge   -   #2

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by gungrave@14 April 2004 - 15:00
    www.google.com
    been there, done that, got the T-shirt

anyone got any they could recommend?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Learn the basics first.

And1 will only help with new moves (and there ain't many)

1. Practice your dribbling
    If you are right-handed, start with you right going down the court with your left behind your back. Switch hands and come back up the court. Repeat at least 20 times.
    There are many "one-handers" on the streetball courts. When I find out he only has one hand, I steal the ball consistently.

As you get ball control, increase your running speed. As fast as I can run, I can dribble the ball while running. You've arrived when you can do the same.

The main thing is to have ball control before speed or else the ball will slip out of your hands. We call that OC.

2. Practice your jump shot. Jump shots take less effort than driving to the whole for lay-up. Lay-ups are easy to make as well as dunks (high % shots) but the hardest player to check is one that can drive and has a jump shot. I would start at the 3-point line (I'm assuming you play already). If it's out of your range, move closer. Shoot on your way up like a fountain, from you feet to the basket.
    I know it's weird to start shooting 3's but if you can shoot 3's you can shoot 4 footers. It makes your arms stronger. Also try lifting weights
    On streetball courts my 3 point line is 3 steps back from the real line. Most people won't guard you that far. If available I shoot at the line. Keep in mind the NBA's 3 point line is about that far in relation to college.

3. Next is too dribble and "pop-up" on your jumpers. Defenders are not going allow you to sit still and shoot a jumper unless you are already spotted up and wide-open. Again you need ball-control. Take 3 dribbles in different directions then shoot. I have to a point where I can dribble around the 3 point line then pop a jumper in my defender's face and score. You need dribble and shot control.

4. Next is boxing out for rebounds. What I do is have my back facing the opponent, face facing the basket when the shot hits the rim. When he moves so do I but I always keep my back to him on the shot.

5. Defending an opponent can be harder if he has a jumper and a quick dribble.
    If he has no jumper, you can give him more space, because...well..he is not going to make a jump shot . Observe how Shaq is guarded at the 3 point line.
    When defending keep hands out and move your feet almost like a crab to move side to side. Don't turn your whole body in the direction that defender is moving.......he'll cross you up and break your ankles.

START
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Poster
    thanks. thats good stuff! I am very on handed at the moment but luckly i am left handed so everyone presumes i am right handed and make me go left () Sometimes they never catch on. I am constantly at the basketball court practising basics and i have noticed a great improvement. I never really tried hump shots though. I will be giving this a go

6. Lounge   -   #6
    BANNED
    Heck i don't need all of that shit

1 Dribble
    2 Layup
    3 Jumpshots
    4 3-pointers
    5 Rebounding
    6 Dunk (if you can)
    7 Practice Dribbleing moves (spins etc.)
    8 Defense
    9 Defense
    10 Defense
    11 Switching hands (advanced layups dunks)
    12 Passing

Repeat as needed

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by Rappy@16 April 2004 - 02:18
    Heck i don't need all of that shit

1 Dribble
    2 Layup
    3 Jumpshots
    4 3-pointers
    5 Rebounding
    6 Dunk (if you can)
    7 Practice Dribbleing moves (spins etc.)
    8 Defense
    9 Defense
    10 Defense
    11 Switching hands (advanced layups dunks)
    12 Passing

Repeat as needed
    Damn with that I can get better myself. Thanks Rappy.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Lounge   -   #8
    BANNED
    well ok to do my 12 step program you need to know a little about basketball unlike some people 778677Marius2463635768576