Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kceasy Forced To Drop Fasttrack

KCeasy Forced to Drop FastTrack (Kazaa) Support
    April 17, 2004
    Thomas Mennecke

One would think in these troubled times that Sharman Networks would accept all the help it can get. After vanquishing virtually all resources of Kazaa Lite via the DMCA, Sharman has now targeted KCeasy.

KCeasy is a front end client that uses the giFT daemon to access FastTrack, OpenFT and Gnutella. Unlike other clients that use older giFT daemons to simply leech and contribute nothing to the P2P community, KCeasy had all the functionality of an authorized FastTrack client. However, KCeasy does not have any of the third party support (AltNet) that Kazaa Media Desktop has, thereby representing a threat to Sharman.

Because of this, Sharman has decided to take another valued client away from the P2P community. Although this time around, the damage is not so great as FastTrack's importance is waning as more people discover alternative file-sharing methods. In addition, KCeasy has already established a small but impressive community, which in all likelihood will not be too distraught considering OpenFT and Gnutella support are still operational.

From the Kceasy website:

KCeasy 0.12 released [2004-04-17]
    Please note that from this version on KCeasy will no longer include the plugin necessary to connect to the FastTrack network. On April 14 I received a Cease and Desist Letter from Sharman Networks demanding the immediate stop of KCeasy distribution. While it is perfectly legal under German law to create an interoperable client for FastTrack network via reverse engineering I feel that inclusion of FastTrack access with KCeasy is not worth a legal battle between Sharman and myself. KCeasy is a valuable file sharing client even without FastTrack connectivity and I will continue to develop it as such.

- Markus Kern

The change log for 0.12:

Fixed threading bug which caused incomplete downloads to go missing (giFT)

Fixed threading bug which caused incomplete downloads to go missing
    Fixed bug with unix style expansion of ~ in paths (giFT)

Removed FastTrack plugin following complaints by Sharman Networks

Removed FastTrack network icon because I am unable to determine origin and license

Don't overwrite old node files from installer

Added meta data extraction for torrents (giFT)

Tweaked OpenFT auto promotion (OpenFT)

Disabled AVI meta data parser until we figure out why it's broken (giFT)

Added more logging to catch where incomplete downloads go missing (giFT)

Fixed env_search == NULL assert (OpenFT)
    Made
    CTRL + A select all search results

SOURCE

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    sharmon at it again...

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    BANNED
    Originally posted by GHOST 1337@17 April 2004 - 18:11
    sharmon at it again...
    dam sharman

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    blank BT Rep: +1
    what would happen to them if someone created a new network and we all moved over to that? about time a clean one was created
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    If you have KCeasy 0.11, you have just to install the new version (v0.12) over v0.11and you can use fastrack network.

Just a problem: the kazaa banlist options aren't working.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Oh the irony.

I upgraded Kceasy and I can still connect to Fasttrack but Gnutella and OpenFt wont connect.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Now even using the older Kceasy client doesn't work with FastTrack anymore. As soon as I launch Search, FastTrack network disconnects.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    Originally posted by klite_master@18 April 2004 - 18:00
    Now even using the older Kceasy client doesn't work with FastTrack anymore. As soon as I launch Search, FastTrack network disconnects.
    do you have auto_search_more set too high in FastTrack.conf?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by Vargas+19 April 2004 - 08:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Vargas &#064; 19 April 2004 - 08:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-klite_master@18 April 2004 - 18:00
    Now even using the older Kceasy client doesn&#39;t work with FastTrack anymore. As soon as I launch Search, FastTrack network disconnects.
    do you have auto_search_more set too high in FastTrack.conf? [/b][/quote]
    No, it&#39;s set on default.

P.S.: Dude, we&#39;re listening to the same radio station. B)

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    As long as you can get the plugin from elsewhere I don&#39;t see that this will have any great effect on KCEasy.

I mean, they can&#39;t stop someone writing a program that will allow another entirely different program to interface with it, can they?

Otherwise they&#39;d have to issue a C&D to Microsoft

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast