Thread: Overnet Slowing Down Pc Alot

overnet (lite 0.52 and 0.53) slow my computer down ALOT after running for only an hour or so...

i have a pentium 4 2ghz processor with winXP home edition..

it doesnt appear to slow down my bandwidth , just everything and anything i do...

in the systems monitor it doesnt show that much cpu usuage, or memory usuage... but everything runs extremely slowly, and AIM disconnects at lease once a minute...

the same exactly problem occurs using both 0.52 and 0.53 of overnet (lite).

has anyone else experienced this problem?????? any suggestions /comments??

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    it's all good
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Yea it affects my P.C pretty badly (Emules pretty bad but overnet is worse). I usually just download overnight and reboot in the morning if needed. I guess you could buy some more memory sticks. This will allow you to run more stuff at the same time. Try shutting down some stuff when running Overnet as well to free up memory and make your system more stable

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    powerstick's Avatar Poster
    yeah same prob here when running Overnet. I am running a p4 2.8 ghzw/hyperthreading, xp home wireless connection to internet. I have diskkeeper which automatically defrags my machine. i usually leave Overnet connected for about 3 days or so before I close the program and reboot about 11:00 AM. I seem to get more sources for some reason if I reboot and try the client over after a fresh boot. I dunno why but I can usually watch a movie while I am running Overnet but as far as anything else, I can't do.
    Make your files the smallest possible to share. If you don't you how I recomend DR. DivX. It will do it for you. We don't want to have to dl that 2.5 gig sh*t for a movie or 2 SVCD's. SMALLEST FORMAT ALWAYS!!!!!!

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    are u people out there that are having the probs too running overnet lite or just the regular thing... just to make sure its not something with the lite versions..

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    both overnet lite and overnet are the same thing....only difference is that one has a plugin to remove the ads. everything else is the same.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    try using netlimiter

Netlimiter

it maybe cause the continual upload traffic / requests are flodding your system mem ect

cap the upload side with netlimiter to about half your upload bandwidth and see if it helps

works for me with shareaza and bit torrents ect , i dont use overnet , but its worth a try

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P
    Hello!

Make sure that you are not overflooding your system with requests. My experience is that Overnet is not good at sharing alot of stuff at once so I alternate files that I make available for downloads. No more then 20 movies at once or only a couple of smaller files if you are on dial up. Overnet is terrible for dialup users!. The rule is to reduce the upload que! Under the Advanced settings set no more Upload slots then 4.

Make sure that the network settings in Overnet is correct in relation to your line. One common misstake is thinking that the settings in Overnet is in Kilobits. I did that misstake when I first installed Overnet. I have a 2.5Mbit connection both up and down so I thought that I should have written 2500 but in reality it was KB with a capital B as in Bytes meaning I should have set around 300 not 2500 which i did later.

Overnet and Zone Alarm is incompatible! In general Overnet does not like Firewalls but particularly Zone Alarm is a bad combination!.

Try running Overnet without your FireWall and see if it still slow down your computer.

If you are using Norton Antivirus 2004 Professional like I am then make sure that the Option Scan within Compresse Archives under AutoProtect options is unchecked under Which filetypes to scan for viruses. This means that only the Option to check for viruses within Compressed Archives shuld be checked under the manual Scan options.

Peer Guardian is a known resource hog!

Check for hidden processes in the Task manager that might be stepping in during IDLE times such as virus scans,Defragers etc.

As a general rule to achieve best download speeds and health of Overnet quit it completely once every 3-4 hours and restart it. Overnet has a tendency to defrag TCP/IP packets when running long times especially when runned behind a hardware router. The cause is to this date unknown. Th quit Overnet it is not enough to just click the red cross in the window you must also select the exit option in the Activity/messages field.

Sincerely Joakim Agren!

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    yes, actually i am running zone alarm firewall... ill check that out..

usually its only uploading at about 20kb/sec and i have a max of 50kb/sec....

i dont have peer guardian ..

ill also try sharing only a couple files for a day and see if that helps...

i have cable btw, not dial-up