Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Style Xp, Aston, Windowblinds

Sorry, that's not what I meant. I meant that simply having more icons on the desktop makes the computer work harder when it doesn't have to, like replacing the icons.

I feel that the less on the desktop, the better. With the quicklaunch and start menu, are desktop icons really neccesary? That reminds me of this kind of funny incident when I had to fix a computer that couldn't use the recycle bin or desktop icons, and I cleaned up both and it started working again. Weird problem with a simple solution.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by Xero Grid@21 April 2004 - 06:30
    Sorry, that&#39;s not what I meant. I meant that simply having more icons on the desktop makes the computer work harder when it doesn&#39;t have to, like replacing the icons.

I feel that the less on the desktop, the better. With the quicklaunch and start menu, are desktop icons really neccesary?
    True, but backgrounds also soak up memory and it&#39;s down to personal desktop preferences and thus subjective.
    I think WinXP looks lovely with its newer interface, bitmapped task bar and especially the transparent backgrounds for icon labels, and it looks even better with a StyleXP-enhanced (or any other program FTM) interface.
    The trade-off always has to be speed. I can put up with it, as can many others, but obviously there are going to be just as many that can&#39;t.
    It makes me laugh when I see people in here tell someone to install Win2k as it&#39;s the same as XP without the bells and whistles, without considering what the person actually wants; I say that if someone wants some features then they only need be aware of the effect those features might have.

Still, what do I know? I loved WinME I had about three BSODs in 4 years with it on three computers against a BSOD at least every bloody fortnight with Win98, yet everyone in here lambasts it as M&#036;&#39;s &#39;worst ever&#39; OS. Yeah, it&#39;s slower than 98/SE but a Hummer is slower than a Honda Accord, yet the Yanks love Hummers.

BTW I&#39;m not disagreeing with you, just making conversation.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13

Indeed. I don&#39;t like the original XP interface as well. An improvment is always cool and fun. I just like tell people what makes for better performance in my experiences. I do have a question for you though. The Sphere XP. Ever heard of it. It could be quite interesting. I&#39;ve seen some 3d interfaces before, but not like this.

2000 is XP without the eye candy... I&#39;ve used the analogy before but only really when explaining to someone who had no idea how to use a computer.

WinME... ::shiver:: Just fills my mind with bad experiences. Any ME machine and me equals lots of fire and doom.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12