Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Download Is So Slow...

Formula1's Avatar Poster
    I have broadband highspeed , and right now i am trying to download a file on BT which is connected to 20 peers and a total speed of 600KB/s . My Download speed is 1 KB/s and max is 10KB/s . This always happens when i download with BT, so i'm wondering if there is anyway to fix this problem , please?

Also i've set my upload to 216 KB/s and my download is still very slow...

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    do you have 216 KB/s of upload to give?
    that's just a little more than 1.5mbs upload....

If not, turn the upload to a more approprate setting.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster
    Broken is absolutely right, the more bandwidth you allow for uploads, the slower your download.

As you will be seeding this file when it is completed you can allocate more then (you will be seeding, won't you?).

As a general rule you can upload to 1/8 of your available bandwith and 1/2 of this gives me my best results (current download speed is 60 to 90 kbps).

I have 1176/256 adsl and set my upload speed to 16 kbps.

After completion I raise the level to 32 kbps and seed to 200%. This can take a couple of days.
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    i set my upload to about 25 kb and my upload is more larger than my download no matter what, i set my settings to dialup/isdn and they are still slow...

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    its possible you have your BT ports blocked, usually happens if you have a router

are you getting a yellow light when you are downloading?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Originally posted by Hackmed@20 April 2004 - 04:05
    its possible you have your BT ports blocked, usually happens if you have a router

Hi,

I will have to agree with Hackmed on this one, this sounds like your problem. I had the exact thing happen at my work.

Its not your upload speeds, actually Ive found the higher the upload the higher download rate I get.
    <span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>VEGASGUY</span></span>

CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON PRIVATE BT TRACKER&#33;

<span style='color:red'>Proud Fasttracker member</span>

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    hey, i have a router.

how can i unblock those ports?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    well the images seem to be broken, but this guide may be able to help if you have a linksys router.

you can look in your routers manual on how to forward ports, you have to forward ports 6881-6999 (defult BT ports) to the computer&#39;s IP you are using BT on.

edit: i noticed in your other thread Lyrok that you were talking about changing the ports in BT, this is not needed (unless you want to download off torrentbits) you just need to change the router port forward settings,

for example i use BT on my computer with an ip address of 192.168.1.101, all i did was go to the router settings>port forwarding enterd the port range (6881-6999) and then ticked the tcp box (not udp) then put the ip address in of 192.168.1.101 (the computer im forwarding too)

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by vegasguy+20 April 2004 - 18:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vegasguy &#064; 20 April 2004 - 18:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hackmed@20 April 2004 - 04:05

Hi,

I will have to agree with Hackmed on this one, this sounds like your problem. I had the exact thing happen at my work.

Its not your upload speeds, actually Ive found the higher the upload the higher download rate I get. [/b][/quote]
    for my isp , the hisgesht upload speed i can get is 30-40KB (download is 380-400 KB) . In BT my upload is speed is higher than my download speed no matter what...and i dont have/use a router...

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    do you have a firewall program running?
    is it fully disabled?

did this fix your problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast