Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Lan And Avi Preview

I don't often use that word, but both these programs are useless.

AVI Preview when it works is good. But is only seems to read 50% of the files I try it on. I get the feeling that this is done on purpose to make users purchase another of his programs.

There have been no updates on it for over 1 year.

It is very frustrating to get the message box that it can't read the file, yet when its downloaded in full it can !

Vidoe Lan is not much better.

Version 0.7 is the latest one (I think) and once again it has not been updated for ages.

It also only plays half of the files I try it on, it often only shows its control panel and the slider with no video window ! or it plays the sound

It often crashes !

Surely they should have been able to make it play just about very type of video file by now.

Do they want us to send them some partial files to work on ? Or some money ?

Any comments ?

Thanks

Digby
    NZ
    What color is your Adkaf ?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    my ass

if you haev the RIGHT codecs then there is no problem

Video lan plays every single file their is I have never had video lan not play a file before
    it even plays unfinshed bin files
    AVI has it's problems yes

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    I thought Video Lan did not rely on video codecs ! as it had its own built in file system.

How much of a file do you need to be able to play it in Video Lan. I sometimes have 3 meg d/loaded and it will still nto play !

Thanks

regards

Digby

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    sorry I ment avi preview needs the right codecs video lan comes with it's own

maybe you could try BS Player

only thing that I find Video lan not playing are mov and ramfiles which you need rela player and quick time for

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    they both work fine for me, I prefer video lan, AP gives me grief sometimes, a Mega Codec Pack, should have bout all you need if you dont have one.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    50% huh?

You do REALISE that you need the beginning and ends successfully downloaded to be able to preview a file. Maybe that's where your errors are.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Adster,

There is something wrong here,

Video Lan does not play quite a few of the MPegs and AVI files that I am downloading right now.

How come it plays everything for you ?

Regards

Digby

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Originally posted by digmen1@17 April 2004 - 15:17
    Adster,

There is something wrong here,

Video Lan does not play quite a few of the MPegs and AVI files that I am downloading right now.

How come it plays everything for you ?

Regards

Digby
    if i were you I would uninstall video lan and reinstall it, cause you got problems.
    I HAVE NEVER , EVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH VIDEO LAN!
    It is an awesome program. avi preview sucks . I dont understand why video lan isnt included in the k-lite package instead of avi pre.

video lan has played my partial downloads when I only had like 300 or 400 kbs
    out of like 200,000 kbs downloaded.
    maybe you should redownload it, either that or buy a new computer
    good luck.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    !. its called avi PREVIEW for a reason, its to preview not for playing the whole file. The theater is for playing the whole movie when its finished. Preview also has a problem with files that are out of sequence and most likely why it only plays partialy

2. videolan can only play files that have both the begging and end downloaded, its how it works, so downloads from most p2p and bit torrents ect wont work till it has at least the beginning and end , and that almost never happens until near the end of the download. Thats why you get the transport window without the video wondow cause it cant figure how to play it

videolan almost never crashes here so there is something buggy with your comp

also some movies that are rar format can not be viewed by anything untill you unrar then twice

Stop bitchin about stuff that works as well as it can, either that or go buy or hire the movies

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    umm theae movies you download wouldn't happened to be fake blank files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast