Thread: A Little Help For A Newbie

Hey im new to this board, and have searched but cant seem to find a problem similar to mine through the search tool. I have been trying to download a tv episode and other peple can download and upload it really fast in less than like 10 mins ut it takes me around 3 hors to download a single episode. I have broadband and have tried accelerator programmes but they are a heap of poo basically. so does anyone know why im taking so long to download???

thankyou

katie xxx

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Hmm...many possibilities: firewall, router, bandwidth restrictions (if you use something other than Klite )...so give us the details! What version do you have, what type of broadband are you on, do you have a router and/or firewall?
    The answer is out there. It's coming for you.
    And when it does you will make a choice.
    You will choose to accept this answer, or to deny it.
    And your decision will affect the very foundations of your being.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    no firewall or router. Klite ++ and umm and I dont know what broadband it is?! im ok at computers im just not really that involved with details as such lol

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    A good quality 1 hour TV ep is about 350meg in size. Downloading this in 3 hours gives an average speed of 32Kbps which is pretty good using Klite/Kazaa.

I have 1176adsl and only average about 40Ks for a movie (1400megs) using bittorrent. I peak at around 130Ks but the available sources seldom sustain that speed.

Getting a useable video file in 10 minutes is pretty damn fast.

Say a tv ep is omly 30 mins (The Simpsons) and is average quality so it will have a filesize of no less than 100megs and to get it in 10mins means an average speed of 167Kbps.

Now that's possible but you'd need a minimum of 2Meg broadband and sources that can constantly service that speed.

One last point - if you are looking in your traffic view in the upload box and seeing people uploading from you and completing in 10 minutes then you are mistaken in thinking they have got the whole file, all they have got is a piece that the software has allocated to them. To see this clearly check the + on a multiple sourced download you have running and you will see that each source is supplying a defined portion of the file not the whole lot.

Sorry this is a bit long winded but I'm trying to explain it to myself in the hope that I'll understand too.

PS set your upload speed to half your potential eg if your broadband is 256 out that is 128ks. This gives you optimum download to upload speeds.
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    get mirc , use mirc for downloads, forget everything else

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    sorry to sound really stupid but how do you change the upload speed?

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by katiekitkat@20 April 2004 - 18:58
    sorry to sound really stupid but how do you change the upload speed?
    Go up to the Options menu, click Klite Options, then under the Advanced tab, there is a box to define the maximum upload speed (or "max bandwidth to be used for transferring files to other Klite users").

@oldjagman: very nice advice/analysis

get mirc , use mirc for downloads, forget everything else
    LOL...one little problem there, ace: single-source downloads only. Yea, I use it, but it's not as uber as you make it sound.
    The answer is out there. It's coming for you.
    And when it does you will make a choice.
    You will choose to accept this answer, or to deny it.
    And your decision will affect the very foundations of your being.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Were you trying to download the OC? Haha.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Katie, If you want to find out the speed of your internet connection go here and it will tell you.