Thread: Anand's Words Of Wizdom

Anand Lal Shimpi Weblog

I exist to code - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 5:17 PM

I stare at my computer screen, typing away at a Java project, until I grow tired of that particular project.

I then hop in my car, drive to campus, truck to a lab and work on my ASIC project until a similar feeling sets in.

Repeat the above two functions and that's what I'll be doing until Monday

Luckily, there are others who are doing much more interesting things that I'm sure you all would like to read about.

Derek should have a review of the Athlon 64 2800+ up in the next day or so, as well as a little Prescott overclocking investigation. Wesley is working on a new integrated chipset review, and while I'm taking exams you all will be reading about what Derek and I met with ATI about.

I've always said that it doesn't make sense to upgrade your video card until you've seen what both manufacturers have put forth. This methodology works extremely well since ATI and NVIDIA have relatively similarly timed product cycles. I've seen a number of people preparing to upgrade their computers based on the GeForce 6800 Ultra results we've published recently, but what I'd caution here is the same thing we've been saying for a long time - wait. At worst, you'll wait less than a month and be greeted with another NV30, at best, you'll save yourself some money

I won't tell you which one the outcome will be, but I'd just caution you to wait, just a little bit longer - we're finally upon the home stretch. Now if we could only get some good next-generation content to take advantage of these cards.

Back to the coding...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    The 6800's a great card but all the review sites have been hinting that the best is yet to come......the X800 is sounding better by the minute.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    thats exactly what ive been telling a lot of people on msn and friends and stuff, is that they shouldnt be buying a new video card right now becuase all teh prices etc are gonna drop, and one wanted to buy the new nvidia card (which he insisted was model 6000, lol) but i told him that ATI's card will be coming out soon and it will most likely be around same price, but might have way better performance. he doesnt beleive me and is just gonna wait for the nvidia card to come out so he can buy that.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@22 April 2004 - 05:10
    thats exactly what ive been telling a lot of people on msn and friends and stuff, is that they shouldnt be buying a new video card right now becuase all teh prices etc are gonna drop, and one wanted to buy the new nvidia card (which he insisted was model 6000, lol) but i told him that ATI's card will be coming out soon and it will most likely be around same price, but might have way better performance. he doesnt beleive me and is just gonna wait for the nvidia card to come out so he can buy that.
    Yes, that really makes no sense, I agree. The funniest thing is the fact that Nvidia has already "launched" their new product, but it is unavailable on store shelves. What good this does us, I do not know.