Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: April 24, 1915 It's Almost The Anniversary

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    In about a half hour, it will be the 24th of April, the anniversary of the Armenian Genocide.

In the morning, some Armenians will be at the march in Hollywood, some will be at churchs, some will be at home with their families. For 89 years ago, the holy land was taken...

89 years of denial...

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    I learnt something new today, and I wont forget it again. Thanks Rip.

Its a shame how this has gone un-noticed in western civilisation, I can guarantee I could ask my entire family and friend group about this and no one (except perhaps my grandad) would know what I was talking about.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I am surprised that so little seems to be known regarding the Armenian tradegy.

The First World War was considerably more than the trenches of Flanders. The Serbs, in defending their country against the Austro-Hungerian Empire lost 52% of all adult males on the battlefield. There were many similar horror stories on the Eastern Front and the campaigns in Greece and in Turkey.

The Armenians were victims of the paranoia of war - like the Kurds, disaffected adjuncts to the Ottoman Empire that were not trusted and were treated appallingly.

It is perhaps time schools reappraised their approach to history. Understanding the inhumanities of the past does much to explain conflicts and tensions of the present.

We should perhaps use this opportunity to reflect on the suffering of those people as they were force marched in their hundreds of thousands across mountains in freezing conditions, watching, as daily, their friends and family perished around them. Yet another testament to the ease with which mankind can descend into barbarity and callous indifference.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Very interesting posts guys... very sad indeed.

Just watched 'Schindler's List' for the first time for many years and it kinda brought the reality straight back 'in-your-face'. Truly horrid

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    I wasn't able to attend the march today in Hollywood, but I watched it on the Armenian Channel I have. There were tons of Armenians walking, men and women, children, and seniors.

There was a woman marching with a sign that said "You killed my grandfather."

And then at work today, a girl came up to me and said "Hey, there were a lot of Armenian people marching at Hollywood today. Is today like a special day or something?" I told her it was Armenian Genocide day, and she said "What's that?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12