Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The U.n., Oil-for-food, And Saddam...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Could this have had any influence on the pre-war deliberations of the Security Council?

Does this reflect at all poorly on any of the principles?

Should Kofi Annan lose his job?

Can we trust the results of a U.N. internal investigation?

Or, like everything else, is this fiasco somehow the exclusive fault of the United States?

Why hasn't anyone started a thread on this topic before yours truly?

Am I being a bit too sarcastic?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4@9 April 2004 - 07:11
    Could this have had any influence on the pre-war deliberations of the Security Council?

Does this reflect at all poorly on any of the principles?

Should Kofi Annan lose his job?

Can we trust the results of a U.N. internal investigation?

Or, like everything else, is this fiasco somehow the exclusive fault of the United States?

Why hasn't anyone started a thread on this topic before yours truly?

Am I being a bit too sarcastic?
    Care to elaborate for some of the more ignorant board members (such as moi )?
    Whats this Oil-for-food business and what was wrong about it?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    As a result of the embargoes against Iraq, a program was instituted and administered by the U.N. whereby the Iraqi people would be furnished food and medicines in exchange for a managed amount of oil production.

The result was a corrupt activity that enriched Saddam, the U.N., France, Russia, China, and others-but not the Iraqi people.

Lots of stuff to read here if you want:

http://news.google.com/news?q=oil+for+food...F-8&sa=N&tab=nn
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    J2 do you think that this may have something to do with the French tying to undermined our efforts to recruit people to become our allies when we were preparing to go to war? I bet that it has nothing to do with millions of dollars flowing into their country that was supposed to be going for "aide".

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@9 April 2004 - 10:19
    J2 do you think that this may have something to do with the French tying to undermined our efforts to recruit people to become our allies when we were preparing to go to war? I bet that it has nothing to do with millions of dollars flowing into their country that was supposed to be going for "aide".
    That would sure be my guess, Hank, and that would make you the big winner, too, if you weren't American like me.

We can't make things like this significant to others.

To our critics I'm sure this is small potatoes, and the U.N. will still be considered the paragon of "Global Wisdom" it has always been.

I see we're being flooded with commentary, here, so I'll adjourn for now.

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Members of the Senior General Accounting Office and the Department of Defence told the Senate committee that while it was difficult to decipher full details of a system where small amounts of money were skimmed from a myriad of contracts, the sum had clearly been taken. In addition, it was revealed that 87 per cent of the contracts for delivering food had been priced too high.

I agree, corruption in all its myrid forms stinks.

In the Middle East, it appears to be the norm as a cultural thing.

Much as it is in the US Government perhaps, although in that case it isnt the Civil Service that collects, its the administration.

Tell em to Sue me

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@9 April 2004 - 14:02
    Much as it is in the US Government perhaps, although in that case it isnt the Civil Service that collects, its the administration.

Tell em to Sue me
    Sue you?

Are you a man of means?

Thank you for your begrudging and qualified view, Rat.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by j2k4+9 April 2004 - 21:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 9 April 2004 - 21:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rat Faced@9 April 2004 - 14:02

Tell em to Sue me
    Sue you?

Are you a man of means?

Thank you for your begrudging and qualified view, Rat. [/b][/quote]
    Dont take that as an attack on the USA.

The only difference i can see in "corruption" is that the "uncivilised" countries have a corrupt public/civil service and in the "civilised" this has transfered to the politicians themselves.

The only difference between the US politician and the "average" Euro-politician is how open the whole process is.

I see it as an advantage to yourselves that the pricetag is usually worn on your politicians lapel, means you know exactly what your getting for your dollar. We, unfortunatly tend to overpay our own and they dont stay bought

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Ah.

I have wondered, though, what this would do to one&#39;s good opinion of the U.N., if, indeed, one held such an opinion?

Also the countries involved.

The effect on the deliberative process in the Security Council is obvious.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Shameless but necessary *BUMP*.

I want to hear from all the fans of the U.N.

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast