Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Next Kazaa

The Next KaZaA

April 22, 2004

With all the litigation regarding file-swapping we are amazed each week by the quantity of searches for original peer-to peer file-swapping software. Here's a quick recap.

First there was Napster. This file sharing software actually began the controversy over free music distribution on the Web. Napster had been one of the most popular search topics since the beginning of the Lycos 50. Napster was on our list for 88 weeks, and was rated as the number eight web topic for the year 2000.

Then Morpheus arrived. Named after a character from The Matrix, Morpheus replaced Napster as the most popular file sharing software in late July 2001 but that didn't last for too long.

By April 2002, Morpheus was replaced by a third file swapping program, the juggernaut, KaZaA. One of the things that making KaZaA so popular is a version called KaZaA Lite. The original KaZaA (like a number of free file swapping programs) installs software called "spy ware" on your computer. Spy Ware is supposed to provide you with advertisements that fit your interests, and we all hate it. KaZaA continues to be one of the most popular searches each week and it has been on the Lycos 50 for the past 128 weeks.

This week we saw a 70 percent increase in another file swapping program and it is iMesh. iMesh has been around since the beginning of the file-sharing revolution but recently moved into the number two spot on our search logs. However even with this increase in searches, iMesh does not come close to KaZaA searches nor our list. But one can't help and wonder, could this be the file-swapping program that unseats KaZaA?

http://50.lycos.com/

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    To the question. I say no.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    Are you going to sue us if we use it?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    They forgot AudioGalaxy

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Nothing beat Audiogalaxy. The best thing to ever come to the net, seriously.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by yonki@22 April 2004 - 16:41
    They forgot AudioGalaxy
    , wasnt hard

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    what is "AudioGalaxy"..... lol

really, never even heard of it.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Imesh also contains spywear.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by junkyardking@23 April 2004 - 01:35
    There's an iMesh Light available http://www.im-l.com/ (although I have personally never used it).

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Sparkle1984+23 April 2004 - 16:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sparkle1984 @ 23 April 2004 - 16:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-junkyardking@23 April 2004 - 01:35
    There&#39;s an iMesh Light available http://www.im-l.com/ (although I have personally never used it). [/b][/quote]
    This fuckers claim this is a Spyware free version of imesh, bull crap....i installed it and found out it had installed Cydoor and Gain&#33;

I always used Dr. damns version of imesh, but i thought to give this version a try because of the hype and some extra tools in it...god, what a big mistake&#33;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast