Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ron Atkinson

Poster
    He kinda messed up once in a very long time... but he messed up preety bad! A think if those 2 could solved it between them , he should have his job back. Allthough he has perhaps lost alot of respect over this issue.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Wrong. The kind of language he used has no place in a modern, multi-cultural country like Britain. His claim that he "thought the microphone was off"makes it seem even worse.

Good riddance to a shit pundit!!!
    Signature removed

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    After this, even if he'd kept the job he'd always be thought of as the guy who's racist* and every comment made in relation to a black player during a match would be over-scrutinised.

I'm glad he's gone. There is no way he should continue a job as a public figure in a sport desperately trying to get rid of racist crap. To allow him to continue working would have condoned this kind of behaviour and would be a step backwards.

(*and also as the guy who always pronounced Kanu as "Canoe")

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    It seems appropriate, even given his previous efforts to give blacks a leg up, that his comment (no matter how it is characterized, or mitigated by his "actual" beliefs) trumps other factors.

I know many of these types; the ones who say things while in their cups they would never say otherwise.

My attitude is, if it comes out when one is drunk, it is in there somewhere when one is sober.

I have said farewell to lots of people over this very thing.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Poster
    If he would have said "He's what is known in some schools as a lazy thick nigger" instead of "He's what is known in some schools as a fucking lazy thick nigger" I think it wouldn't have been so bad.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by j4y3m@25 April 2004 - 20:17
    If he would have said "He's what is known in some schools as a lazy thick nigger" instead of "He's what is known in some schools as a fucking lazy thick nigger" I think it wouldn't have been so bad.
    Well, yes; he did pile it a little higher and deeper with that, didn't he.

I mean, surely he offended sexual practitioners everywhere?

Egregiously gratuitous.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234