Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Security And Ip Address Software

blank BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by NightStalker+23 April 2004 - 00:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NightStalker @ 23 April 2004 - 00:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hungrylilboy@22 April 2004 - 19:28
    i aint feeling too friendly towards u hackers right now. I just had to re install windows after a format, lost all my work, over 10gb of stuff and more, all cos some jerk (and hes a member on this board) infected my computer with a virus which basically trashed it.
    I know exactly what happened and how and I am going to get my revenge...

ps. 5 hours of watching fucking windows update everything from the last 2 years is no joke&#33;
    Hopefully it taught you a lesson.

Protect your computer. [/b][/quote]
    cheeky shite. i aint no noob. I got or rather had more firewall, anti virus than u could throw a stick at, not to mention a router&#33;
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by hungrylilboy+22 April 2004 - 19:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hungrylilboy @ 22 April 2004 - 19:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by NightStalker@23 April 2004 - 00:31
    <!--QuoteBegin-hungrylilboy
    @22 April 2004 - 19:28
    i aint feeling too friendly towards u hackers right now. I just had to re install windows after a format, lost all my work, over 10gb of stuff and more, all cos some jerk (and hes a member on this board) infected my computer with a virus which basically trashed it.

ps. 5 hours of watching fucking windows update everything from the last 2 years is no joke&#33;

Protect your computer.
    cheeky shite. i aint no noob. I got or rather had more firewall, anti virus than u could throw a stick at, not to mention a router&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Apparently you were still vulnerable.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    blank BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by NightStalker+23 April 2004 - 01:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NightStalker @ 23 April 2004 - 01:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by hungrylilboy@22 April 2004 - 19:50
    Originally posted by NightStalker@23 April 2004 - 00:31
    <!--QuoteBegin-hungrylilboy
    @22 April 2004 - 19:28

Protect your computer.

cheeky shite. i aint no noob. I got or rather had more firewall, anti virus than u could throw a stick at, not to mention a router&#33;
    Apparently you were still vulnerable. [/b][/quote]
    yes. am too trusting. never again
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Originally posted by 4play@22 April 2004 - 19:35
    i was reading somewhere your average un-firewalled new install of windows xp will get infected with a worm before you have a chance to update it.&nbsp;

me loves linux&nbsp; B)
    Linux is just as worse.

Tons of services are enabled by default. Sendmail, rpc, X11, etc.

&quot;For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.&quot;

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    jesus i cant remember the last time i had sendmail turned on by default.

and of course keeping up to date will stop your getting owned by some leet haxor.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Originally posted by 4play@22 April 2004 - 20:35
    jesus i cant remember the last time i had sendmail turned on by default.

and of course keeping up to date will stop your getting owned by some leet haxor.
    Sendmail is always installed and started by default. Sure, maybe there are a few exceptions, but look at ssh. It&#39;s always installed and started by default as well.

As for the updates. Vulnerablities are only found when they are "publicly" put in the wild. Some people that find flaws in an application may decide to keep that to themselves and exploit it quitely rather then send it to the application vendor just so they can get leet points on the net.

You are never secure no matter how often you update. With some effort every box can be compromised no matter what.

&quot;For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.&quot;

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Originally posted by 4play@22 April 2004 - 19:35
    i was reading somewhere your average un-firewalled new install of windows xp will get infected with a worm before you have a chance to update it.&nbsp;

me loves linux&nbsp; B)
    I just went through the re-format/re-install process myself.

I was hit at least four times by hacker/malicsious entries posing as messages from what they claim to be Windows Messenger as I went through the windows update routine. I ended-up having to go through the entire ordeal three times before obtaining a clean and updated WinXP Pro system.

...thank God for DSL.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Security?
    First.... Tweak your system. X-Setup is a blindingly easy way to help protect your comp.
    Second.... Turn off the services you don&#39;t need. Black Viper can help you there.
    Third.... Get a router. You can turn any piece of junk computer into a hardware firewall with a linux or unix live disk or you can install linux if you cannot afford a router (which are cheap).
    Fourth.... Anti-virus. NOD32 and AVG are the only good ones I&#39;ve used.
    Fifth... Patch Windows. Just use Windows Update.
    Sixth... If you have Windows XP turn on the built-in firewall even if you have a software router and a hardware router. It blocks against RPC attacks which are a bit popular these days.
    Seventh... Steve Gibson has made some interesting tools to turn off some of the most vulnerable services in Windows. He even set up a firewall tester and a method to change the way certain versions of Windows conects to the internet to close off big vulnerabilities.
    Eighth... XP-Antispy... it speaks for itself.
    Ninth... Protowall and Blocklist Manager come in handy with P2P.
    Tenth... Make sure you system is clean of spyware. I like SpySweeper, but there are great free tools that do the same. BTW, this company also makes Window Washer which helps a lot in security.
    Eleventh... security was one of the big reasons I made Supertrick XG

This is a start. You can do all of this for free. And there should be no need for explainations.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Xero Grid@23 April 2004 - 22:51
    Eleventh... security was one of the big reasons I made Supertrick XG

This is a start. You can do all of this for free. And there should be no need for explainations.

-- Xero Grid --
    But I thought it was a 12 step program.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    I was never great at beating habits. So naturally I tripped on that step.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast