Thread: No Network Connections

So i did my twice a year clear the harddrive and reinstall a fresh copy of xp home... in the past everything has worked fine. simply reinstall, plug in the network cable to my cable modem and update online via downloading the most recent drivers and everything else.

however this time is different. I formated and reinstalled windows fresh. went to plug in my cable modem and noticed there was nothing. nothing in network connections and no internet. the lights come on my router but i can't add a cable connection as it tells me it should be setup automatically... blah!

am i missing something? i've gone through every conceivable way to add a connection and nothing has worked. i know it's not a faulty modem or router as they where working fine when i shut everythign down to format.

i'm sure it's something simple but at 2:00 it's bugging the hell out of me... can anyone offer some suggestions?

my computer is a
    athlon xp 2500
    mb is biostar m7ncd pro

i'm off to bed as i have to be up in a few hours... but if anyone can leave some pointers here i would appreciate it.

rk

btw posting on a old piece of crap secondary computer... so if something is needed to download to fix this problem i can do that... also forgot to mention tried formtting a second time and the same problem exists.

thanks again....

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    is it usb?
    if so try putting it in a nother usb hole

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    does the light come on , in you network card when you plug the cable from the modem to the nic

check device manager , and see that its found the network card

you might find you just have an entry that says " simple communications device "
    in this case you need to install drivers for the nic

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Biostar web page.

Did you install the drivers (from supplied CD) for that motherboard?

Look in the Device Manager to see if any drivers are needed.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    as others have said, you probably need to install the drivers for ur NIC. in device managerthe name of the NIC (if it shows a name at all) will have a ? or a ! beside it, which tells you there is a problem with the device.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    duh... thanks all.

that was it. i can't believe i overlooked installing the biostar drivers. did that and it fired right up.

was wondering why i didn't have any sound either but that took care of it.

again, thanks....

rk

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by reignking@23 April 2004 - 07:49
    duh... thanks all.

that was it. i can't believe i overlooked installing the biostar drivers. did that and it fired right up.

was wondering why i didn't have any sound either but that took care of it.

again, thanks....

rk
    Ya friend I think we all forget that. Now I install motherboard drivers After winxp install . Then update from other sources usually manufacture web site.