Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Installing Second Hard Drive

Twist3r
    hi, i am a n00by when it comes to hardware, and i cannot install a 2nd harddrive correctly

im trying to install a old 2gb hd out of a older machine, but when i put the ribben cable into pins and the power cable into the slot and i try to boot up the pc i all i get is the Hewlett Packard start up screen and it just sits there.

Image Resized
    [img]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6565/stupidharddrive.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

edit im on Windows XP pro
    500mhz
    256 ram
    64 video
    primary hd 20 gb

the pc is a HP 858OC

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    you gotta go into the bios (on my hp computer u press F1, urs may be different though) and you gotta set all the devices to auto, then save and exit. it will then detect them at startup.

if it still gets stuck, try just waiting, the first time my computer is really slow too.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Twist3r
    the bios are allready on auto, and i let it sit there for a good 5-10 minutes so i don think it can be that slow

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    as far as I can remember xp should autodetect the new drive without having to go into Bios, I am no wizz kid though but I am sure I just put mine in and it appeared when I logged on

have you remembered to set one of the drives to slave? the other to master?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    ok depending on a few thing this is what you should have

your initial h/d should be on the ide0 master cable, its pin out ( jumper ) will be master or cable select ( you need to check the pin out )

the 2 gig drine you plug into the other connector on the same cable as the first h/d
    the pin out ( jumper ) should be set to slave for this drive ( its prob on master if it came out of another puter )

you have 2 choices

ether
    set bother hard drives to cable select cs both h/d pinout ( jumper )

or

set main h/d to master
    set 2 gig h/d to slave

see this pin , the jumper is located between the cable and power plugs

the jumper setting can usualy be found on the top of the hard drive , or right above the pins themselves

this web site is a tutorial on installing a second h/d
    http://www.harddriveupgrade.com/add_new_ha..._2.shtmlstaling a second h/d

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Twist3r
    Originally posted by delphin460@25 April 2004 - 06:01

your initial h/d should be on the ide0 master cable, its pin out ( jumper ) will be master or cable select ( you need to check the pin out )

the 2 gig drine you plug into the other connector on the same cable as the first h/d
    the pin out ( jumper ) should be set to slave for this drive ( its prob on master if it came out of another puter )

you have 2 choices

ether

or

set main h/d to master
    set 2 gig h/d to slave

the jumper setting can usualy be found on the top of the hard drive , or right above the pins themselves

hey thanks man i dont have time now but i will try making the 2gb slave and the 20 master, i will post how it went when im done

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Twister+25 April 2004 - 00:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Twister @ 25 April 2004 - 00:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-delphin460@25 April 2004 - 06:01

you have 2 choices

ether

or

set main h/d to master
    set 2 gig h/d to slave

hey thanks man i dont have time now but i will try making the 2gb slave and the 20 master, i will post how it went when im done [/b][/quote]
    u mean you didnt set the 2gb to slave lol jk.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+25 April 2004 - 14:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 25 April 2004 - 14:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Twister@25 April 2004 - 00:14
    <!--QuoteBegin-delphin460
    @25 April 2004 - 06:01

you have 2 choices

ether

or

set main h/d to master
    set 2 gig h/d to slave

hey thanks man i dont have time now but i will try making the 2gb slave and the 20 master, i will post how it went when im done
    u mean you didnt set the 2gb to slave lol jk. [/b][/quote]
    when i got my new hard drive it wasn&#39;t set to slave and still isn&#39;t yet it work

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Marius24+25 April 2004 - 09:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Marius24 @ 25 April 2004 - 09:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@25 April 2004 - 14:34
    Originally posted by Twister@25 April 2004 - 00:14
    <!--QuoteBegin-delphin460
    @25 April 2004 - 06:01

you have 2 choices

ether

or

set main h/d to master
    set 2 gig h/d to slave

u mean you didnt set the 2gb to slave lol jk.
    when i got my new hard drive it wasn&#39;t set to slave and still isn&#39;t yet it work [/b][/quote]
    did u plug into the master or slave spot of the cable?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    slave lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast