Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Uk Id Cards

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I know this topic has been discussed before, but I see it is back in the News and it has finally sunk in that they expect me to pay for it. Presumably I will be required to purchase IDs for my kids too. At £35 to £40 each I am understandably (being Aberdonian) a bit peeved.

I have no objection to the idea in principle - I have nothing to hide.... or so I thought! However, I shall look to see if the sock under the bed is the best place to hide my money as I do not want the Home Secretary to find it.

I pay for my driving licence and my passport - I think it should be "buy two get one free".

Any other views on this?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    It seems a bit steep for a useless bit of plastic. There's no real reason to have them in the first place. ID cards have never prevented a terrorist strike or kept a countries borders more secure. The Government should put more coppers on the streets and make immigration tighter. That'd be money well spent!!

(Edit)
    In fact instead of giving new mothers a few hundred quid just for getting pregnant they could just give them an ID card for the new baby. Labour have got their priorities all wrong - wankers!!
    Signature removed

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Most of the cost is being met by raising the price on passports.

So whether your in favour and "volunteering" or not is immaterial, when you renew your passport you will be paying for the scheme.

Most of the data on the new ID cards will also be on the new biometric passports and driving licenses anyway...so whats the point?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@25 April 2004 - 19:22

Most of the data on the new ID cards will also be on the new biometric passports and driving licenses anyway...so whats the point?
    Some people don't drive

Some people don't have a passport.

Everyone exists.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+25 April 2004 - 19:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 25 April 2004 - 19:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rat Faced@25 April 2004 - 19:22

Some people don&#39;t drive

Some people don&#39;t have a passport.

Everyone exists. [/b][/quote]
    True, however as we&#39;ll have Biometric ID cards, then why pay for the Biometric Passports and Driving Licences?

Can you recall one case where an ID card has stopped a terrorist or a Burgalry even?

If its for "Security" then why are they waiting 10 years or more before they make it compulsary?

The Home Secretary has a baby and wont let go. He wont even give straight answers to any questions on it, whatever party they come from.

The whole thing is a waste of money...in this case £Billions.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    It is difficult to comment on what is stopped by security measures being in place. Since the events did not take place.

It is difficult to comment on what they have prevented, since they prevented it.

Perhaps the card should only be for those who don&#39;t already have a passport which contains the same details as the card would.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Where i live we need id to purchase tobacco and alcohol, it doesn&#39;t matter that you are obviously over the age required...even someone that is retired has to show id. It&#39;s usually in the form of a driving permit, if you don&#39;t drive you need some form of id just to make life easier.
    I can&#39;t see how it would prevent crime making it compulsory other than helping shopkeepers from making the mistake of selling certain goods to underage persons. A criminal is not going to be worried about id....in for a penny in for a pound. The 9:11 terrorist all had id...passports.....didn&#39;t stop them
    i think it is more a way to keep track of tax avoidance than national security (just a conspiracy theory )

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@25 April 2004 - 21:18
    It is difficult to comment on what is stopped by security measures being in place. Since the events did not take place.

It is difficult to comment on what they have prevented, since they prevented it.

Perhaps the card should only be for those who don&#39;t already have a passport which contains the same details as the card would.
    Pedant&#33;&#33;&#33;

Although you make a good point about duplicate documentation. It still won&#39;t help though. Unfortunately
    Signature removed

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    So, can someone distill and weight the objections to these new IDs?

Is it cost, redundancy, uselessness?

Not expressing an opinion, here, just assessing.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by j2k4@25 April 2004 - 15:28
    So, can someone distill and weight the objections to these new IDs?

Is it cost, redundancy, uselessness?

Not expressing an opinion, here, just assessing.
    cost...yes..to many it will be if they become comulsory, even if they don&#39;t charge directly to each person the tax payer will foot the bill. i can&#39;t see too many rushing to pay the £35 to £40 as quoted by biggles unless the government brings in an "incentive" such as carding alcohol sales as they do here.

probably the biggest objection will be the compulsory bit (if it happens)...it kind of goes against personal liberty. There is an arguement that one already carries id in the form of a driving permit or passport or even credit cards, so why would one object to an id card?...well for one you won&#39;t get into trouble for not having any of the afore mentioned, but you would for not carrying a compulsory id.

In the Uk they don&#39;t have to have their driving licence with them when they drive, if they get stopped by the police they will be given a "produce" document and have 7 days to produce the licence at a police station of their choice....i can&#39;t see them doing the same for ID if it becomes compulsory.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast