Thread: Middle Eastern Countries In The U.n.,

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    This is strictly for informational purposes; comment is welcome, but it is not my intent to start a flame-war, and I'm certainly not looking for any sympathy or empathy for the U.S. by posting this; it is what it is.

If anyone wants to verify these figures, fine, do it the long way, just as the person who assembled these did.

Trust me (or not), they are accurate.

Below are the actual voting records of various Arabic/Islamic States which are recorded in both the US State Department and United Nations' records.
    Kuwait votes against the United States 67% of the time.

Qatar votes against the United States 67% of the time.

Morocco votes against the United States 70% of the time.

United Arab Emirates votes against the U. S. 70% of the time.

Jordan votes against the United States 71% of the time.

Tunisia votes against the United States 71% of the time.

Saudi Arabia votes against the United States 73% of the time.

Yemen votes against the United States 74% of the time

Algeria votes against the United States 74% of the time.

Oman votes against the United States 74% of the time

Sudan votes against the United States 75% of the time.

Pakistan votes against the United States 75% of the time.

Libya votes against the United States 76% of the time.

Egypt votes against the United States 79% of the time.

Lebanon votes against the United States 80% of the time.

India votes against the United States 81% of the time.

Syria votes against the United States 84% of the time.

Mauritania votes against the United States 87% of the time.

Foreign aid to those that hate us:

Egypt, for example, after voting 79% of the time against the United States, still receives $2 billion annually in US Foreign Aid.

Jordan votes 71% against the United States and receives $192,814,000 annually in US Foreign Aid.

Pakistan votes 75% against the United States receives $6,721,000 annually in US Foreign Aid.

India votes 81% against the United States receives $143,699,000 annually
    in US Foreign Aid.

Perhaps it is time to get out of the UN and give the tax savings back to the American workers who are having to skimp and sacrifice to pay the taxes.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Or perhaps the USA is wrong to vote the way it does sometimes.. and the UK for that matter.

Why do you think that by giving Aid, you buy the country?

Isnt that corruption under a different guise?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I wonder what the U.S gets back in return for this aid (pick of the exports etc)? Also some of the countries you put aid figures on (like Pakistan) have and do back the U.S (take the Pakistani government who is sticking their neck out to stamp out terrorism and aiding the U.S in their attacks in the mountains between Afghanistan and Pakistan). I doubt very highly that America would "sell itself short" in any foreign ventures it makes

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    interesting....however it leaves more questions than anything. (missing imformation)

what were the issues that were voted on ?

what are the reasons for the foriegn aid and what conditions are attached ?

Is the aid subject to repayment ?

isn't the fact that there is a free vote a victory for free speech ? and the fact that these countries vote opposite to the way the USA votes a shining example of the democratic lifestyle that we advocate the rest of the world adopts ?.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@25 April 2004 - 14:44

Why do you think that by giving Aid, you buy the country?

Isnt that corruption under a different guise?
    Not at all, Rat.

What it indisputably is, is proof the U.S. doesn't predicate aid on outright friendly alliances, and offers a counter to those who think otherwise.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    I know the point may be moot, however I would suggest that it is foreign regimes which vote against you, whereas it is the people in those countries which you supply the aid to.

I think that your point is well made. The US provides aid to those who need it, in spite of the fact that their leaders vote in opposite ways to you.

Bear in mind that for us if we do not like policies we can change our leadership. For a lot of other people this is not the case. Even where democracies exist it is not always possible for everyone to be equally represented, depending on how the ballots are publicised and who they are truly accessible to.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by J'Pol@25 April 2004 - 15:13
    I know the point may be moot, however I would suggest that it is foreign regimes which vote against you, whereas it is the people in those countries which you supply the aid to.

Actually not moot at all, JP, and it hadn't occurred to me look at it quite that way.

Excellent point.

-Mark Twain