Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This True Or Bs?

Bebi's Avatar Super Duper Member
    My friend has a max download speed of 600kb/s and mine is 150kb/s but we have the same plan from the same isp he says nomatter what speed your cable is its who you download from but never in my life have I even reached 300kb/s so is this bullshit or am I 1 unlucky pup, btw he is a computer/tv/video/dvd player technical

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    perhaps he has uncapped his modem

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by Bebi@25 April 2004 - 23:13
    My friend has a max download speed of 600kb/s and mine is 150kb/s but we have the same plan from the same isp he says nomatter what speed your cable is its who you download from but never in my life have I even reached 300kb/s so is this bullshit or am I 1 unlucky pup, btw he is a computer/tv/video/dvd player technical
    you mean KB/s and not kb/s?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    2 things i can think of:

1)what ur max cable speed is depends on ur neighbourhood........... everybody in the neighbourhood shares the same network, so if more ppl in ur neighbourhood have cable internet, ur speeds will naturally be lower..........

2)there are certain hacks that will up ur cable speed (but down the speeds of others in the neighbourhood)......... how these programs work i dont know, and i dont even know if they still exist (last i heard of them was about 2 years ago)
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    jetje's Avatar former star
    It's probably the 1st
    There are modem hacks, but a lot of ISP's do bother if you hack them so be careful with the modem hack... Be sure what you do before doing anything i would say. B)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I live in a neighbourhood with only 1 other person who has a computer (if they have that hack ill rip them a new...) anyway I doubt they have it so tell me more about this bandwidth hogging prog

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    jetje's Avatar former star
    You can also do an online speedtest there are severalls but try to find one in the country your living.
    DL speeds can also be a lot different of the programs that you use to dl.
    If your friend is using Bittorrent and you Kazaa it will be pretty easy to xplain why he get's a lot better speeds then you.
    other things that can cause speed differents are firewalls, routers network cards. So i guess you have to give some specs of your system, software that you run and program that you use to dl (and preferable what your friend uses to dl).

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by Bebi@26 April 2004 - 11:18
    I live in a neighbourhood with only 1 other person who has a computer (if they have that hack ill rip them a new...) anyway I doubt they have it so tell me more about this bandwidth hogging prog
    with neighbourhood i meant the area of ppl that share the same cable connection point............ you can prolly call ur ISP and ask how large it is, or how many others have a inet connection in the area..........
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    he uses bittorent I use bittorent, downloading the same file, I dont use kazaa only bittorrent and dc++, I sygate pro firewall always running with msn messenger but I oubt that would steal over 200Kb/s, so I guess he uncapped his modem and not letting on

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast