Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compuer Crashed, Cant Boot Nor Get To Bios

um , your keyboard wouldnt happen to be usb would it

usb keyboards wont work to get into the bios , you need to get a ps2 keyboard to be able to access the bios mate

the other thing to do is unplug everything except the h/d and floppy, pull any pci card out except for the graphics card ( if its not agp )( make sure you unplug the cdrom's too )

try starting it without the other stuff and see what happens

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by delphin460@26 April 2004 - 20:15
    um , your keyboard wouldnt happen to be usb would it

usb keyboards wont work to get into the bios , you need to get a ps2 keyboard to be able to access the bios mate
    usb keyboard cant access bios? what have I been using

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    newer mobo's allow you to boot with usb if its enebled in the bios, but this is a pent 3 and if its reset to the defaults usb k/b support is disabled ,

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Good question.

I must have a magic keyboard.

Oh, that's right I do...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by delphin460@26 April 2004 - 20:20
    newer mobo's allow you to boot with usb if its enebled in the bios, but this is a pent 3 and if its reset to the defaults usb k/b support is disabled ,
    hmm maybe, i might try it out on my old computer (older than a p3, its a k6-2)..

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    oh and btw , compaq are strange , the bios enter key could be just about anything , so you will have to mash your kbd with your fists to find the right key

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by delphin460@26 April 2004 - 20:23
    oh and btw , compaq are strange , the bios enter key could be just about anything , so you will have to mash your kbd with your fists to find the right key
    that is true, my old comps an hp, and im not sure how i ever figured out which key was teh bios key, but I now have it set to show the 'boottime diagnostics', i just call it the post, so now i dont have to watch that ugly HP, expanding possibilities screen...is that ever annoying.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by delphin460@26 April 2004 - 19:23
    Indeed.

I think on my sister-in-law's Compaq it was F2....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    i had another read of the initial post , and it looks likes in the beginning of this problem everything was ok besides the fact that the comp couldnt find the operating system

so i think you can exclude cpu and ram problems,

in jumping the bios you would have set the bios back to defaults , in which case the usb keyboard wouldnt work ( need ps2 ) to get to the bios

also this would have the effect of having a keyboard error, and thus the bios would halt

so , dont do anything else till you confirm that you can get into the bios ( ps2 kbd )
    and set everything back to what it should be

then post back if you are still having problems

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    BigDaddy555's Avatar ONE MIN. NINE SEC.
    No, the keyboard is not USB, and yes I did try my other keyboard. I now believe that its not that the keyboard is not working but yet that the computer is just locking up. I made a ROMPac floppy and it will just hang forever while trying to read the disc. Unless this is normal, I gave it about an hour twice and all I see is the floppy working while Im looking at a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left. The funny thing is, after I did this the first time it didnt work so I jumped the CMOS and pulled the battery, and after that when I power up, you could see it run a memory test in the top lest. Looked normal until that was done then then it said that no operating system was found. Referring back to my previous post, we know that the HDD is good (AND YES I TRIED ANOTHER JUST IN CASE)

I have already done everything that has been suggested before I even started this thread. I wouldnt want to waste all of your time trying to resolve a simple issue.

The only thing that I have NOT done is actually flashed the Bios. That is because I cannot find anywhere what version is on this machine.

COULD SOMEONE HELP ME FIND THE RIGHT FLASH FOR THIS BOARD. Google nor HP have helped me yet. I am having trouble finding anything on this motherboard and I dont know what version of BIOS is on here. I posted the serial and model number from the motherboad in the first thread.

I gave my S/N to a live tech at HP and he gave me the exact model # Compac Presario desktop PC 7QSME2, The only thing on the computer itself is 7000, but there are a ton of 7000 series.

Ill be pulling my hair out waiting on the Genius that can help me.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT AND KEEP THEM COMING. I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONE COMING TOGETHER TRYING TO SOLVE SOMEONE ELSES PROBLEMS.

SORRY DONT MEAN TO BE SO LONG.............JUST TRYING TO BE THUROUGH!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast