Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compuer Crashed, Cant Boot Nor Get To Bios

BigDaddy555's Avatar ONE MIN. NINE SEC.
    current thread please read this so I do not have to retype it all. It will take you to the "COMPUTER FORUMS" where I have it posted already.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ever heard of cut and paste ?

A friend brought a computer by because when booting it would say"no operating system found." Easy fix right? No! I put in my WinXP disk and tried to get into bios to make it boot from cd. Bios wont load, just stays locked up. Ok, so I pulled the HDD put it in my computer and reformatted it. The drive works just fine in mine. Put it back in the troubled pc, still same thing. Ok, maybe cmos....jumped it and reset it even pulled the battery, swapped RAM with one I know is good, tried my backup HDD, yet still nothing. It will not boot from any thing, it acts like the keyboard is not working. I even unplugged everything i.e. - network adapters, hard/floppy/cd drives, sound card, i mean everything, yet I still cant get bios to load. The pmcflash is not in a socket so i cannot remove an replace it to see if that is the problem. Im thinking I need to reflash, but i dont know how. Can bios possibly have been erased, if so how can I restore it? I dont know what else to check. Anyone have any ideas on what to do....Its freakin' pissing me off. Its a Compac Presario 7000 30gigHDD, Pentium3, 128MB RAM . When I turn the box on it just says "compaq" with a blinking cursor in the top left.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    cpu could be fried

edit: just got an idea, do you have an internal speaker lying around? or can you borrow or buy one from somewhere? your bios may be producing an error code that could help to diagnose your problem, but the only way to find out is to try it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    sorry about making you go to another thread, but the darn thing woulnt paste. I did try. Thanks for pasting it Fred. Im thinking this tower has just become a footrest..................

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    usually the blinking cursor should be on the top right had coner of the screen, when you see that hit F10 to enter bios. Go to the compaq web site and find your computer model for a bios update and a tool to flash it as well.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    oddly the cursor began in the top right, when I would hit F10 it would go to the top left and hang, never actually going to bios. Sometimes it would get to the point where it said that it there was no operating system installed(whick is why I took out the drive and reformatted on my computer which still didnt work, and I even tried the drive out of my computer) I coulnt load the cd because I would get to "press any key to boot from cd...." and the keyboard seemed to not work. Now with all that said and what I have done, it just hangs at the "compaq" screen with a blinker on the top left...

I cannot find this motherboard anywhere by the model # and the manufacturer is not on the board anywhere.her ar the numbers I see on the board:
    bar code: 421A2P00CE0 (white sticker)
    printed on the board: PWA-ELISE-SWAP-BD
    PCB 316701200001-R01
    ASSY. 411701200001 R

THE PMC Flash chip is 85930 0028 Pm29f????12jc (I cant read the blue letters)

I have been to the HP site and there is not a bios update

I would like to try flashing the CMOS but I dont know what to use or how to do it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    sounds like its definately either a problem with teh motherboard or the cpu, but i recomend you try to get an internal pc speaker so you can find out if the motherboard is giving out any beep codes...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    From the Compaq website...

System stops responding or does not start

If the computer stops responding at the red Compaq logo, or a blank screen appears and Windows does not start, perform the following steps:
    If the computer is on, turn off the computer.

Open the computer case by removing the side panels and/or cover.

Disconnect the hard drive IDE cable.

Turn on the computer. Ignore any error messages that appear.

Turn off the computer, and reconnect the IDE cable.

Turn on the computer. If Windows does not start normally contact Compaq...

Tried this yet?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by clocker@26 April 2004 - 22:47
    From the Compaq website...

System stops responding or does not start

If the computer stops responding at the red Compaq logo, or a blank screen appears and Windows does not start, perform the following steps:
    If the computer is on, turn off the computer.

Open the computer case by removing the side panels and/or cover.

Disconnect the hard drive IDE cable.

Turn on the computer. Ignore any error messages that appear.

Turn off the computer, and reconnect the IDE cable.

Turn on the computer. If Windows does not start normally contact Compaq...

Tried this yet?
    [QUOTE] Yes that is actually one of the first things I tried. I made a BIOS update disc. Tried to run this but the computer just gets a blank screen cursor binks in the top left and the floppy drive light stays on. It acts like it is trying to work from the floppy but it just hangs there forever.

HOWEVER>>>>>I DID GET AN ERROR MESSAGE FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

162 SYSTEM OPTIONS NOT SET

I CANT FIND THIS ERROR CODE ANYWHERE, BUT ILL BET THIS IDIOT THAT BROUGHT THIS COMPUTER TO ME HAS FLASHED BIOS OR SOMETHING AND WIPED IT OUT. CAN OR HOW CAN I REINSTALL BIOS

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I think you are jumping the gun by assuming that the BIOS is faulty.
    It could be as simple as a keyboard error.
    Have you tried unplugging the keyboard cable and plugging it back in?
    Or maybe a different keyboard altogether...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast