Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raid?

Ok this may seem like a stupid question but what exactly is raid I think i have an idea but im not sure could some one go into detail on what it is and the diffrent types... And also how it works
    Thx

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lol thx but im still not understanding it 100%. Ok say i had 2 hard drive on raid 0 what would be the point? Does it basicly merge the drive so the computer thinks its one drive and spread the info between the 2?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by freak@26 April 2004 - 18:32
    lol thx but im still not understanding it 100%. Ok say i had 2 hard drive on raid 0 what would be the point? Does it basicly merge the drive so the computer thinks its one drive and spread the info between the 2?
    there are two types of raid. 0 and 1. I always get confused with the name so i cant say which is which...

but one of them, is like a security thing, the info is written to both drives at the same time so that if one drive fails the other will still be working and you wont loose ur info. two drives are required.

the other one, is for performance, both drive will spread teh info between them, so theyre both reading to open a file, and it in theory opens twice as quick. 2 drives is required to do this.

the last way, is to have a 0+1 aray, where u need four drives, and they work together to give u double the performance, and the security of it backing up the info...

well thats my attempt at explaining it, and im sorry that I dont know which one is 0 and which is 1, but i tihnk u can find that out your self.

and there are also other types of raid, but these are the most common ones.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by freak@26 April 2004 - 17:32
    Yes, that's exactly raid 0. The drives are 'merged'.

Makes for faster performance.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+26 April 2004 - 18:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 &#064; 26 April 2004 - 18:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-freak@26 April 2004 - 17:32
    Yes, that&#39;s exactly raid 0. The drives are &#39;merged&#39;.

Makes for faster performance.[/b][/quote]
    Think in terms of entering your larder to gather ingredients for an intricate meal; you can grab more stuff faster using two hands than you can with just one.

I haven&#39;t built my dream machine, yet, but when I do, It&#39;s gonna be RAID 0/1, with the biggest SATA drives I can afford.

Securlty and performance; that&#39;s what I want.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by j2k4@27 April 2004 - 07:27

How very Republican of you...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    There is also Raid 5 which needs a minimum of 3 drives.

Each block of data is divided over (n-1) drives and a checksum calculated for the nth drive. Each drive takes it in turn to hold the checksum for a block.

For 4 drives it ends up looking like this:

Code:
    Drive&#58; &nbsp; &nbsp; 1 &nbsp; &nbsp; 2 &nbsp; &nbsp; 3 &nbsp; &nbsp; 4
    Block1 &nbsp; &nbsp; 1 &nbsp; &nbsp; 2 &nbsp; &nbsp; 3 &nbsp; &nbsp; c
    Block2 &nbsp; &nbsp; c &nbsp; &nbsp; 1 &nbsp; &nbsp; 2 &nbsp; &nbsp; 3
    Block3 &nbsp; &nbsp; 3 &nbsp; &nbsp; c &nbsp; &nbsp; 1 &nbsp; &nbsp; 2
    Block4 &nbsp; &nbsp; 2 &nbsp; &nbsp; 3 &nbsp; &nbsp; c &nbsp; &nbsp; 1
    Block5 &nbsp; &nbsp; 1 &nbsp; &nbsp; 2 &nbsp; &nbsp; 3 &nbsp; &nbsp; c
    You get the advantage of striping the data over n-1 drives plus the security of being able to rebuild any drive from the info held on the other drives.

The disadvantage is that in order to update only one part of a block your system has read all the drives and recalculate the checksum, then rewrite drive with the modified part and the drive with the checksum. But that&#39;s not as bad as it sounds since it is likely that the data from the other drives is already in the controller&#39;s cache, and in order to have the security you have no choice but to write to at least 2 drives.

Unfortunately, not many raid controllers support this option, mainly because they don&#39;t support more than 2 drives.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    clocker&nbsp;
    Posted: 27 April 2004 - 09:03

QUOTE (j2k4 @ 27 April 2004 - 07:27)

How very Republican of you..

And a tax write off.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    There are 11 variants of RAID, or "levels" as they are commonly made a referral to.

RAID-0 is a common implementation of modern PCs, supplying a configuration of a Stripe or Mirror array - allowing for data to be secured, should there be an event of emergency, or merely for convienience - made a provision by its speed benefits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast