Thread: Help, Corrupted Anti-virus

Hey, on Spy bot S&D, under advanced mode, under tools, there is a startup section that shows all the processes that you run at startup. I usually have just norton anti-virus, norton firewall running at startup. When I went to view the start up list, I found something interesting.

one of the processes that is listed looks like the one that is supposed to be either my norton AV or firewall, this is what Spybot said about it in the popup window:

Current value: ccApp
    Current filename: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"

Database status: Not required - virus, spyware, malware or other resource hog
    Value: ccApp
    Filename: <filename>

Description
    Added as a result of the <a href=&#092;"http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.obsorb.html&#092;" target=&#092;"_blank&#092;">OBSORB</a> VIRUS&#33; Note the random filename compared to the valid Norton AntiVirus entry above

Source: Paul Collins Startup list

Now, when I told spybot to stop loading that process at bootup, my norton anti-virus and firewall are no longer loaded into memory. Can anyone explain to me exactly what the above description means, and what I should do?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Its for Norton auto protection and e-mail scan. Just leave it .

Read here it might explain better. Oh also shows how to enable again
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.n...asks.html&tpre=

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by ljossberir@28 April 2004 - 02:24
    Hey, on Spy bot S&D, under advanced mode, under tools, there is a startup section that shows all the processes that you run at startup. I usually have just norton anti-virus, norton firewall running at startup. When I went to view the start up list, I found something interesting.

one of the processes that is listed looks like the one that is supposed to be either my norton AV or firewall, this is what Spybot said about it in the popup window:

Current value: ccApp
    Current filename: "C:&#092;Program Files&#092;Common Files&#092;Symantec Shared&#092;ccApp.exe"

Database status: Not required - virus, spyware, malware or other resource hog
    Value: ccApp
    Filename: <filename>

Description
    Added as a result of the <a href=&#092;"http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.obsorb.html&#092;" target=&#092;"_blank&#092;">OBSORB</a> VIRUS&#33; Note the random filename compared to the valid Norton AntiVirus entry above

Source: Paul Collins Startup list

Now, when I told spybot to stop loading that process at bootup, my norton anti-virus and firewall are no longer loaded into memory. Can anyone explain to me exactly what the above description means, and what I should do?
    it doesnt mean its virus, spyware, malware, it simply means its not required to be on your system. disregard what spybot says, do you want it running at system startup or not? its your decision. and NO your virus scanner is not corrupted.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ccapp needs to run at start up mate , leave it enabled

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    muchspl2

rofl

billy dean & inter.news has some competition

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Thanks for replying guys. If it&#39;s not corruped though, why does spybot say it was "added as a result of the obsorb virus"? Also, if it&#39;s email and auto protect - why did my comp stop loading norton firewall when I unloaded it from the list?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    i think you have a virus in the quarantined section of norton a/v
    and spybot is picking it up

go to reports and quarantined items , and delete ant items in the quarantined section

should fix it for ya

oh and ccapp runs both a/v and firewall services mate , so just leave it enabled

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by ljossberir@28 April 2004 - 02:47
    why did my comp stop loading norton firewall when I unloaded it from the list?
    i think you anwsered your own question there

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    If you bothered to read the link I posted It would explain it. I only have 4 start up items
    3 are norton related the other is zonealarm 4