Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Western Digital Hard Drives

Double Agent
    ya basically i am saying virus can be programmed to do anything...data or not, they are designed to cause damage

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@28 April 2004 - 12:27
    ya basically i am saying virus can be programmed to do anything...data or not, they are designed to cause damage FREE H4X0R!!!
    whats ur os?FREE H4X0R!!!

include all service packs.FREE H4X0R!!!
    FREE H4X0R!!!

whats the size of the HDDs?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Chame1eon's Avatar Super Freak
    @ clocker I needed more space

As for corrupt data Files will stop woking, i have gotten an Error loadiing operating sysem error, sysem failure(untill i run check disk), and a lot of cyclic redundancy checks while copying files. then later event veiwer or western digital diagnositic will me i have bad blocks.

the hard drives are 40, 80, 160, and 80

the os's are xp sp1 2k sp 4 and 2k

I don't know what the hard drive temperatures are , but the cpu temps are 67,67, and 41 c

I can't find any information about the hard drives in 2 of the computers but in the one with the 160 gb hard drive i found this

cylinders : 1024
    heads: 240
    sectors : 63
    chs: 7927
    lba: 160041 mb
    pio: 4
    ultra dma: 5

I noticed that the number of heads and cylinders is inconsistant with what western digital says they have ; they say there are 16383 cylinders and 16 heads! Is that the problem? How could my computer miscount this?
    I only licked you for the salt

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Sounds like you've got them set for CHS addressing, which I don't believe is properly supported by Microsoft OS's. The consequence of this is that as your disks fill up the OS will start to try to access sectors that don't actually exist under that addressing scheme.

You should change that to LBA addressing, but it means you will have to run fdisk, remove and recreate your partitions, then reinstall everything.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    did u use speedfan? im sure all ur drives use S.M.A.R.T so its worth a shot lol. if u did use speedfan and it accessed the S.M.A.R.T data then see if u can retrieve the spin time and other things (especially anything labeled as not ok )

btw turn off indexing on the 160gig HDD

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    How about starting with the most likely and easiest to check?
    Download and run Memtest86.
    All data goes through memory. If what is written to memory is different to what is read back, there's your problem.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Chame1eon's Avatar Super Freak
    Originally posted by lynx@29 April 2004 - 12:32
    Sounds like you've got them set for CHS addressing, which I don't believe is properly supported by Microsoft OS's. The consequence of this is that as your disks fill up the OS will start to try to access sectors that don't actually exist under that addressing scheme.

You should change that to LBA addressing, but it means you will have to run fdisk, remove and recreate your partitions, then reinstall everything.
    how do i do it?
    I only licked you for the salt

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    BANNED
    You need to do that in the bios mate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12