Thread: Networking Help!

My friend has Two Computers that are networked together. Well, His mom's computer Has the Cable Modem, Router and NIC Card all hooked it to that computer and has NO problem with the internet whatsoever. His computer which is about 40 feet away, Barely EVER has a DECENT internet conection. There is a phone in the middle of the two that he tried to unplugg but still nothing.. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. He does have a really really old NIC card but I dont think that is it. His computer has the Wireless USB adapter that hooks in the USB. I have the same setup as him at my house and everything works find evben though both of my computers are next to the same room. What could be wrong here?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    how is there a phone plugged into the middle of his home network im curious.

you need to say exactly what is plugged into what. and how you have its setup otherwise we can help.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    I just meant that the phone is in the MIDDLE or BETWEEN the NETWORK not IN the network. I just thought it could be taking a connection away. His Moms computer has the ROUTER installed. the CABLE MODEM, and the NIC Card and her internet is FINE. His computer which is about 40 feet away barely gets a connection, sometimes its good, but most times its low. He has the wireless adapter Usb card..

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    why not just use cat5 cable and connect him to the router? don't see why you'd have her connected to the cable modem via router and him connected to the modem via the usb.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by backlash@29 April 2004 - 08:14
    why not just use cat5 cable and connect him to the router? don't see why you'd have her connected to the cable modem via router and him connected to the modem via the usb.
    he doesnt, the router is connected to the cable modem. the moms computer is plugged directly into the router, and the other computer is using a wireless nic which plugs into his computer via usb.

Mr. Guy123, is it possible to try moving the computer with the bad connection closer to the router (preferably right next to) to see if the connection works then? than would at least tell us if its a bad reception or an actual hardware\software problem.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    ROSSCO, I will tell him to try that and will post back here asap. Thanks... His moms computer has the router, and the cable modem is hooked into the router. He has a wireless Usb adapter... Lets see what happens...