Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lp Ripping

god-of-rock's Avatar God of Rock
    I've started to rip all my LP's to my HD. For all you 14 y.o. a LP is big round (often black) vinyl objects that one used to record music onto and sell in stores like the ones you get CD's in nowadays. I like LP's alot because I feel the background noise brings an extra warmth to the music, therefore I won't apply much noise reduction... (I mean if you want CD-quality get it from someone else). I think I am also going to put each side into one big mp3 so that each folder will be looking approx like this:

D:&#092;MUSIC&#092;LP-RIPZ&#092;<Artist> - <Year> - <Album Title>&#092;side A.mp3 and
    D:&#092;MUSIC&#092;LP-RIPZ&#092;<Artist> - <Year> - <Album Title>&#092;side B.mp3

I&#39;ll be ripping them using Wavelab @ the highest quality variable bitrate (somewhere around 256 I think it is)...

I&#39;ve only just begun the project and it&#39;s gonna take a while before I&#39;m done.... for now I&#39;ve only ripped and shared a 45 rpm single (a bit smaller round, black object that contains only one or two songs on each side) with a sweedish punk-band called The Grinners, but it&#39;s in my folders if you wanna check out the quality....

-GoR-

2. Music   -   #2
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster

I am sorry dude.Just funny how somebody has to explain what LPs and 45s are.But I know it is true.There is actually some People that do not know what in the hell you are talking about.

3. Music   -   #3
    hmm, starts me wondering if i should do the same to my 8 track tapes , i still have the original 8 track player from my very first car , man 8 track sound was awsome

4. Music   -   #4
    Originally posted by god&#045;of&#045;rock@30 April 2004 - 11:11
    I&#39;ve started to rip all my LP&#39;s to my HD. For all you 14 y.o. a LP is big round (often black) vinyl objects that one used to record music onto and sell in stores like the ones you get CD&#39;s in nowadays. I like LP&#39;s alot because I feel the background noise brings an extra warmth to the music, therefore I won&#39;t apply much noise reduction... (I mean if you want CD-quality get it from someone else). I think I am also going to put each side into one big mp3 so that each folder will be looking approx like this:

D:&#092;MUSIC&#092;LP-RIPZ&#092;<Artist> - <Year> - <Album Title>&#092;side A.mp3 and
    D:&#092;MUSIC&#092;LP-RIPZ&#092;<Artist> - <Year> - <Album Title>&#092;side B.mp3

I&#39;ll be ripping them using Wavelab @ the highest quality variable bitrate (somewhere around 256 I think it is)...

I&#39;ve only just begun the project and it&#39;s gonna take a while before I&#39;m done.... for now I&#39;ve only ripped and shared a 45 rpm single (a bit smaller round, black object that contains only one or two songs on each side) with a sweedish punk-band called The Grinners, but it&#39;s in my folders if you wanna check out the quality....

-GoR-
    its a great idea how do you do it ???

5. Music   -   #5
    You can use a sound recorder like Sound Forge.

That is often good enough.

6. Music   -   #6
    kicker of elves
    Originally posted by delphin460@30 April 2004 - 12:50
    hmm, starts me wondering if i should do the same to my 8 track tapes , i still have the original 8 track player from my very first car , man 8 track sound was awsome
    I know you&#39;re kidding. You are kidding, right?

Anyway for a good laugh, check out 8-track heaven. They definitely aren&#39;t kidding, though.

7. Music   -   #7
    kicker of elves
    I&#39;ve been ripping from vinyl (I&#39;ve about 1200 LPs, 800+ 45s, some EPs) with my trusty Thorens TD160 turntable using CoolEdit Pro 2. It has a really good scratch removal plug-in, which I use sparingly.

For downloading convienience, I break the files down to individual tracks (after volume normalization), then convert to mp3 (VBR 256) using CEP&#39;s batch process, then ID3 tag (with ripping info) using Winamp.

Soulseekers seem to be liking it, based on my U/L queue.

8. Music   -   #8
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    I just hope guys let people know they are LPs.tThough I know nothing about LP Ripping so I guess there is a way to tell.Is there?

* Yeah FC there is a way.Listen to it&#33; *

9. Music   -   #9
    kicker of elves
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@30 April 2004 - 20:26
    I just hope guys let people know they are LPs.tThough I know nothing about LP Ripping so I guess there is a way to tell.Is there?

* Yeah FC there is a way.Listen to it&#33; *
    I put an empty text file labeled "_ripped from vinyl" in the album&#39;s folder. If they miss that and are still pissed, they can always sue me.
    (seriously: haven&#39;t had any complaints yet)

10. Music   -   #10
    god-of-rock's Avatar God of Rock
    Originally posted by mortsapprentice+30 April 2004 - 16:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mortsapprentice @ 30 April 2004 - 16:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-god&#045;of&#045;rock@30 April 2004 - 11:11
    I&#39;ve started to rip all my LP&#39;s to my HD. For all you 14 y.o. a LP is big round (often black) vinyl objects that one used to record music onto and sell in stores like the ones you get CD&#39;s in nowadays. I like LP&#39;s alot because I feel the background noise brings an extra warmth to the music, therefore I won&#39;t apply much noise reduction... (I mean if you want CD-quality get it from someone else). I think I am also going to put each side into one big mp3 so that each folder will be looking approx like this:

-GoR-
    its a great idea how do you do it ??? [/b][/quote]
    I use the "tape out" from my home-stereo amplifier into the computer... then I adjust the sound using wavelab to be close to 0 db on the peaks. I record each side into one big wav-file and then encode the wav to VBR mp3

-GoR-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast