Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Exactly Is Centrino?

Whenever I read about it or hear about it, they never talk about specifics. Is it just integrated 10/100 networking? So that you dont have to buy a wireless card?

Doesnt seem tu smart to spend more money on something like that.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Bascially it's just all intel hardware, and it's suppose to make the battery last longer, also has the built in wireless card,
    but basically it's just a bunch of intel hardware. That's all it means.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    its intels laptop package, it includes a bunch of hardware from intel as bob_the_alien has said, which includes an intel pentium M processor, integrated wireless networking, and some other stuff. And it uses far less battery than the competitions hardware, so centrino is currently the best solution for laptops.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Have Intel come up with a radical new chip design with the Pentium M?

The fastest seems to be 1.7GHz yet they are claiming it is their fastest mobile chip, but I've seen plenty of laptops with 2.8GHz processors or better.

Actually, the Pentium M chip looks remarkably like an Athlon Mobile chip, I wonder if AMD are making them for Intel?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    If I was to get a laptop for gaming would I be better of getting a Athlon XP-Mobile or just a normal Athlon XP laptop?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    do be honest laptops arnt designed for games.They designed for "on the move capapilates"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    The Centrino also is supposed to make sure laptops dont heat up like with pentium4
    so less fan noise

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by lynx@30 April 2004 - 22:14
    Have Intel come up with a radical new chip design with the Pentium M?

The fastest seems to be 1.7GHz yet they are claiming it is their fastest mobile chip, but I've seen plenty of laptops with 2.8GHz processors or better.

It is their fastest mobile chip. The more powerful laptops simply use the desktop CPU - faster but it needs a lot of cooling which the diddy laptop fans aren't exactly providing. I've got a 2.66 P4 in my laptop and it's noisy as hell - my sister has a 1.7 M and you can barely hear it because the fans rarely have to rev up.

So yes, unless you want *the* fastest laptop, or a specific package that only comes with the desktop CPU,, get an M.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    A friend recently got a Sony Vaio notebook with a 2.8 processor. It is almost silent, and doesn't appear to get particularly hot. A lot cheaper than the models with the Centrino chipset, yet it has a much larger display and built in wireless networking too.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    This one ? Is it really that silent ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast